• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS Issue

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,

99, 3.0 L, 4X4

I've been searching through past threads about this issue and it seems that many have experienced the same problem but no one has posted a definite fix.

My problem is this that when I go to stop (<5mph), my ABS kicks on right before you would expect the truck to stop, causing the truck to go a few feet further than it would normally. Definitely not warped rotors, as this issue has persisted even with the new pads and rotors that I put on less than 1,000 miles ago. Also, usually the ABS light will turn on when this happens and the truck pulls to the left slightly.

To make matters more interesting, randomly my speedometer will start jumping from 0-80mph, the abs light will kick on, and the truck will "buck" almost like the brakes are engaged when the speedo hits 0mph. I tried replacing the sensor in the rear differential and cleaned the connection there, but it didn't help.

I tried scanning for codes and came up with P0503 "Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent".

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I would appreciate and suggestions on what to check/replace next. Oh, and the truck does have 4WABS.

Thanks,
Dan

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
maybe disconnet the battery (neg. cable first then pos.) wait 5 mins the connect it back up. this will reset the computer. if this doesnt work then idk?

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Heavyfire14, but I've already tried that. Replaced the alternator about a month or so ago, so the computer would have reset then when I had the battery disconnected. This issue has been going on since this past spring and has steadily been getting worse/more frequent. Thanks anyway.

powerranger262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Vehicle speed sensor on top of the rear axle. I will see if I have a pic of it.

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks powerranger262, but I've already replaced the VSS. May try replacing it again seeing how its like an $8 part.

Does anyone think that maybe a short somewhere in the wires running forward from the VSS could cause my symptoms? That's one thing that I haven't done is to trace wires out.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My 99 had the same problem. Turned out one of the from wheel speed sensors had gone bad. ABS would engage on dry pavement, especially during turns while braking to a stop. Get the multimeter out and take a ohm reading on both sensors on the steering knuckles. If you get an extremely high ohm reading, theres a short in the sensor (or one circuit if no reading obtainable). Has not happened again since I performed that work, well only when the ABS actually needed to kick in (which is a good thing in my book haha).

Hope that helps.

Camo Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'll look into that and let you know what I find.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you schematics from the 2000 EVTM.

Your braking symptom sounds like a bad right front ABS sensor (left brake working properly, right is getting pulsed by the ABS, so it pulls to the left), so do that resistance check and compare it to the left side.

The rear axle sensor does feed the speedometer, but its signal is first processed by the 4wABS module, then to the speedo. That rear axle VSS signal goes through the big square connector under the driver seat, exterior of the cab. Clean the corrosion out of that connector and pack it with new dielectric grease. The two wires are LG/BK (Light Green with a Black stripe) and RD/PK.

Connect/disconnect that connector repeatedly to wipe the contacts clean, if you do nothing else.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals