• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

About to replace exhaust manifolds + gaskets

johndough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I’m about to replace the exhaust manifolds and the gaskets on my 1988 2.9L. What is some advice you guys can give me for this? Any tools I can buy to prepare/help make it a little easier or prepare for the worst? Thank you

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Did mine got Dorma manifolds I used a sander disk to smooth out the insides from all the molding. Got studs I measured length and ordered off line so I didn’t have to worry about bolts hopefully in the future. Gaskets just used factory style came with rebuild kit. Torqued all to spec. As far as tools you name it you could need it if replacing on original heads… socket, ratchet, Seafoam Deep Creep is your friend, patience, rounded off sockets, EZ out, LH drill bits, taps, list goes on. I believe all M8 hardware. Back together, copper Anti-Seize is your friend.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Lots of penetrating fluid and patience.
My worst case was I had to grind off bolt heads and extract the threads.
Getting to the crossover bolts is not easy but do-able - if you have a crossover.

Best case would be pay someone else to do it:D

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Lots of penetrating fluid and patience.
My worst case was I had to grind off bolt heads and extract the threads.
Getting to the crossover bolts is not easy but do-able - if you have a crossover.

Best case would be pay someone else to do it:D
Hell a set of heads is $5-600 just buy new honestly or remove assembly and work on it on a bench have heads redone and roll on.

Cees Klumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II XLT
Transmission
Automatic
When I installed a set of those new $500-600 heads (due to coolant loss thru old head) I had to also install a new manifold due to broken off 'ear'. The new heads made for a noticeable improvement in engine power. So x2 on installing hew heads.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@johndough ,

The 1st time I had ever pulled a set of manifold was an installed 2.9l, there isn't a ton room and it did not go well. If the 12 original Ford manifold bolts, 6 of them sheared of flush with the head.

In this case, it would have been faster and easier to pull the engine to finish the job.

The next set of original exhaust manifolds I removed were another 2.9, 13 years later. This time I soaked the fasters for a week prior to touching them. I had also learned a few more things and the first thing I did after a week in best penetrating oil I could afford was tighten each bolt just a little before trying to loosen them. All 12 came out without issue??? I chalk this up to the 7P's.

Ever since, I will not touch exhaust manifold fasteners untill they have been drenched for at least ½ a day/shift.

Even with the engine removed, I proceed with this task specific with extreme caution.

Have plenty of oil, be as patient as necessary.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve had very mixed results pulling exhaust manifolds over the years. I want to say only two or three times I’ve gotten the bolts out without breaking anything in the head, the other like 20 times I’ve sheared multiple bolts. Impact seems to help with a little care, but there’s only room to do that with the engine out. Best way I think is to soak in lube after it’s been run a bit a few times. Have to be a little careful with that method that the lube doesn’t catch on fire, but that seems to work well. Arguably a hot engine should make removing the bolts easier, but it’s a bit harder on you and your hands. Of course, most of the time I’ve had to remove a manifold, I have not been able to use those methods.

It is possible to do heads/head gaskets with the engine in the truck, I’ve done that a few times. In that case, I’ll pull the manifold to Y pipe bolts and leave the manifold on the head and work on it out of the truck unless I’ve had it apart before or the bolts seem like they are willing to come free.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals