• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Wiring problem

Buhz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 94 XLT 2wd from a friend that had an over heated transmission in it. 3.0 engine w/ an A4LD automatic. I took it to a shop and had it rebuilt. The shop called and said they thought a part of the wiring harness was missing. The wiring harness from the tranny has 2 leads coming up, One plugs into the firewall, Both plugs are round. The smaller round bullet plug has an orange/yellow wire and a purple/yellow wire on it. There seems to be no place near the end to plug into. I am thinking maybe the transmission had been swapped at some time? There is a larger round connector up near the front of the engine but isn't long enough to reach. The wires on it are Green/white? and purple/ yellow. went to the local ford dealer and got a copy of the wiring harness, It appears to have a few changes in it though according to the truck wiring. Any ideas how I hook this up? The wires in question are for the Solenoid for the OD maybe? I'll have to talk to the Shop again to confirm. I went to the local LKQ and had zero luck w/ a new harness. I had read on here that some have 2 wires and some have 3 wires. Unsure as to how to hook this up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance :headbang:

Buhz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update, Scored a correct year, engine, trans wiring harness off of Ebay. After looking at the new harness, it has 3 wires coming off of the soledoids to the harness. The trans in the truck has only 2. I think they may have put in another transmission vs the one that came in it. Spoke to the shop a few days ago, He thinks it will work. From what I have read on here (long time lurker btw) The pre 87 A4LD's had the 2 wire connection. From what I understand, a few things have to be changed out to get the 3 wire connection. I read somewhere that a few wires could be spliced together and a toggle added (which I do not want to do if possible) Can someone verify this? I'll call the shop in the AM and see what all is going on, If anything. I may have been put on the back burner since they are very busy. :icon_confused:

Buhz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bump it up. Any answers on the wiring harness connecter? The shop put my truck on the back burner for now, I suppose I need to light a fire under them.

Buhz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE for anyone interested. So, The shop burnt my computer (ECM) up trying to hotwire 12 volts stright in to a 5.5 volt plug. Scored a new used one on Ebay. Got the truck back finally and it is doing fine so far. Soon to take it back for a 200 mile check up on the trans. A few issues here and there, Missing EGR valve assy and such causing rough idle when cold, but smooths out in a bit. So far, So good. I think I have a keeper to drive back and forth to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals