• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Transmission Problem

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure if my Transmission is Slipping in 2nd gear while in over drive? 1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0.

My transmission just started feeling like it may be slipping in 2nd gear overdrive when I throttle above 2500 RPM. (I have not checked to see if this happens in normal drive yet but will update in the thread) If I don’t go over 2500rpm the gear shifts fine and does not have the problem in any other gear. When I am accelerating and get to 2500rpm, it feels like it stops accelerating completely and does not shift until I let off the gas. I have an A4LD auto transmission. 140k miles. I was reading this issue is common in these transmissions but did not figure out what the culprit is. Some people mentioned the transmission modulator, some mentioned the clutch as a possibility but I am wondering if there is any knowledge on what the exact thing that needs to be fixed is when this issue pops up on these transmissions. I am going to change the filter and trans fluid and see if that will help, but I’m sure it won’t completely fix it…

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I have to ask the 2 first obvious questions, is the oil at the proper level? and do you have any vacuum leaks?

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I have to ask the 2 first obvious questions, is the oil at the proper level? and do you have any vacuum leaks?
The oil is at the proper level and I plan on doing a pan drop fluid change today + adding a pan with a drain plug so I can do it once more after. The fluid does not appear to be burnt/dark brown but is definitely a light brown color. How would I check for a vacuum leak?

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I must update that I tested it in normal drive setting and it was still doing it. Feels like it is 2nd and 3rd gear doing it when I am pressing the throttle above 2500rpm. I did not test if it does this in higher gears yet.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
if you have the shifter in 3 or 2 will it shift ok? and when you have it it in (OD) it does the funky shiftings? the vacuum should be ok. a faulty vacuum will make the shifting hard, as in a clunky style of shift. The vacuum assists the modulator to shift smooth. so i will guess that isn't an issue.

As for the rest of the problems, I am not sure of. However if it shifts ok in the other 2 placements and only in OD, i am lost why it does that.

However, on a different side note, I am sorta having same problems with an AOD trans behind a V8, first 3 gears are great, but if I place it in the (OD) position it will slip also. so I am going to watch this thread.

cheers

RangerRyan50

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
if you have the shifter in 3 or 2 will it shift ok? and when you have it it in (OD) it does the funky shiftings? the vacuum should be ok. a faulty vacuum will make the shifting hard, as in a clunky style of shift. The vacuum assists the modulator to shift smooth. so i will guess that isn't an issue.

As for the rest of the problems, I am not sure of. However if it shifts ok in the other 2 placements and only in OD, i am lost why it does that.

However, on a different side note, I am sorta having same problems with an AOD trans behind a V8, first 3 gears are great, but if I place it in the (OD) position it will slip also. so I am going to watch this thread.

cheers
I noticed that it does it while in both overdrive and the normal drive gear. Have not tried in 1&2. Also when I accelerate under 2500rpm, it shifts fine but it does have sort of hard shifts in 1st and 2nd gear. Could this possibly be the fluid or is there likely a worse problem?

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
I am not sure, if it gets clunky between 1&2, it could be a modulator going. without personally seeing it, it is hard to say. from past experiences with blown modulators, what happened was the rubber diaphram went out and allowed the vacuum to pull fluid into the intake and created very hard clunks when shifting 1 to 2 and 2 - 3. and also expelled extreme white smoke from burning the trans fluid. that is why i asked if your vacuum was working ok.

I will pass this subject over to anyone else who may have better knowledge beyond my experiences.

Is your fluid level where it should be on the dip stick? check with oil hot and engine running.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals