• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Transmission fluid type, brand, ect.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Hello all. I have a 1994 Ranger 4.0 OHV 4x4 with the A4LD transmission. I have recently picked up the truck as a little side project/money pit. I am looking to do a full fluid and filter service on the transmission and transfer case. I am led to understand using some full synthetic mercon fluids could potentially damage cause failure of the transmission.
My question is what brand/type of fluids are guys using in these old transmissions? I have found some Valvoline Dex/Merc that is a synthetic blend, but am having a hard time locating a conventional type Mercon fluid.
Anyway, I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It probably says to use Mercon on the dipstick and that's also what the transfer case needs but Ford discontinued it. Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon will work for both. Ford sells transfer case fluid for $12+ a quart and if you read the back it meets Mercon specs. If the trans fluid is really dark and burnt smelling you could have it flushed if you find some one who will just flush it with fluid and not dump cleaners or additives in it. After flushing I'd want to drop the pan and change the filter. If it isn't too bad a drain and refill will do it.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
It probably says to use Mercon on the dipstick and that's also what the transfer case needs but Ford discontinued it. Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon will work for both. Ford sells transfer case fluid for $12+ a quart and if you read the back it meets Mercon specs. If the trans fluid is really dark and burnt smelling you could have it flushed if you find some one who will just flush it with fluid and not dump cleaners or additives in it. After flushing I'd want to drop the pan and change the filter. If it isn't too bad a drain and refill will do it.
The fluid appears to be in pretty good shape, not burned or stinky. It’s possible the transmission had been serviced at some point recently, I have decided to assume nothing has been serviced and go through the whole truck. I think I’m going to go with a filter replacement and pan/torque converter drain and refill with the synthetic blend. Thanks for the information 19Walt93.

dsh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have changed the filter and fluid in my 94 4.0. A4LD. Fluid seemed to be good, nice color and no smell. Can Mercon V be used?. I have heard that you can go to newer type fluid but not to Older type. how true is this?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes motorcraft mercon V is backwards compatible with mercon EXCEPT for transfer cases for some reason. But like walt said you can just use valvoline max life merc/dex in everything. Basically any of the aftermarket universal fluids are spec for anything. Just read the bottle.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would NEVER put Mercon V into a manual transmission that didn't explicitly call for it either (additives are too slippery, causes shifting problems).

I'm not aware of Mercon V causing problems in an A4LD automatic... However like said, with Mercon still available (branded as "Dex/Merc"), I'd just go ahead with that since that is what the trans originally called for.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I would NEVER put Mercon V into a manual transmission that didn't explicitly call for it either (additives are too slippery, causes shifting problems).

I'm not aware of Mercon V causing problems in an A4LD automatic... However like said, with Mercon still available (branded as "Dex/Merc"), I'd just go ahead with that since that is what the trans originally called for.
From what AAMCO told me when they rebuilt the transmission in my 88 Bronco 2 3 years ago they were using the MerconV fluid...no issues so far in the 3 years since the rebuild.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
AAMCO is the Jiffy Lube of transmission shops, they probably use whatever's cheapest.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
AAMCO is the Jiffy Lube of transmission shops, they probably use whatever's cheapest.
I think given I'm on my 4th year with the AAMCO rebuild I'd say I'd follow their directions. They know far more about transmissions than we do, otherwise we wouldn't have several threads asking about fluids to use.

Mercon V will work in the transmission and transfer case, but cannot be used where Mercon LV or ULV fluids are used, as those are not compatible with Mercon V.

Just did a drain/fill and filter on my Bronco 2, used the Valvoline MaxLife ATF, a month into the service and its doing just fine. If you start skipping regular service intervals no matter what fluid you use you are likely to have problems since the fluid has broken down too much to properly lubricate and operate the clutches, and such.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Mercon V shouldn't be used in transfer cases, Ford released a dedicated transfer case fluid when they eliminated Mercon/Dexron III. The transfer case fluid was something like $14 a quart in 17 when I retired and it meets Mercon standards so I'd buy another brand of Mercon for a lot less money.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Mercon V shouldn't be used in transfer cases, Ford released a dedicated transfer case fluid when they eliminated Mercon/Dexron III. The transfer case fluid was something like $14 a quart in 17 when I retired and it meets Mercon standards so I'd buy another brand of Mercon for a lot less money.
IDK works just fine in my transfer case? Rather I'd assume maybe the shop that did the transmission rebuild meant they used the multi-vehicle ATF? I know when I did the services about a month ago I just used the Valvoline MaxLife multi-vehicle fluid, and its been working great, transmission and transfer case both. I doubt most shops carry every single type of fluid, most seem to use some sort of multi-vehicle ATF.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
When I retired we stocked 8 different automatic transmission fluids for Fords. Ford has never approved "universal" transmission fluids and we wanted to use fluid we could stand behind in our customers' vehicles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals