A4LD Transmission fluid type, brand, ect.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Hello all. I have a 1994 Ranger 4.0 OHV 4x4 with the A4LD transmission. I have recently picked up the truck as a little side project/money pit. I am looking to do a full fluid and filter service on the transmission and transfer case. I am led to understand using some full synthetic mercon fluids could potentially damage cause failure of the transmission.
My question is what brand/type of fluids are guys using in these old transmissions? I have found some Valvoline Dex/Merc that is a synthetic blend, but am having a hard time locating a conventional type Mercon fluid.
Anyway, I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 32B05A80BF19AF Expires: July 1st, 2020

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It probably says to use Mercon on the dipstick and that's also what the transfer case needs but Ford discontinued it. Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon will work for both. Ford sells transfer case fluid for $12+ a quart and if you read the back it meets Mercon specs. If the trans fluid is really dark and burnt smelling you could have it flushed if you find some one who will just flush it with fluid and not dump cleaners or additives in it. After flushing I'd want to drop the pan and change the filter. If it isn't too bad a drain and refill will do it.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
It probably says to use Mercon on the dipstick and that's also what the transfer case needs but Ford discontinued it. Valvoline Dexron III/Mercon will work for both. Ford sells transfer case fluid for $12+ a quart and if you read the back it meets Mercon specs. If the trans fluid is really dark and burnt smelling you could have it flushed if you find some one who will just flush it with fluid and not dump cleaners or additives in it. After flushing I'd want to drop the pan and change the filter. If it isn't too bad a drain and refill will do it.
The fluid appears to be in pretty good shape, not burned or stinky. It’s possible the transmission had been serviced at some point recently, I have decided to assume nothing has been serviced and go through the whole truck. I think I’m going to go with a filter replacement and pan/torque converter drain and refill with the synthetic blend. Thanks for the information 19Walt93.

dsh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have changed the filter and fluid in my 94 4.0. A4LD. Fluid seemed to be good, nice color and no smell. Can Mercon V be used?. I have heard that you can go to newer type fluid but not to Older type. how true is this?

Dirtman

Clam chowdah!
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
466.63 teaspoons.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
So friggin big!
My credo
RUM HAM!!!
Yes motorcraft mercon V is backwards compatible with mercon EXCEPT for transfer cases for some reason. But like walt said you can just use valvoline max life merc/dex in everything. Basically any of the aftermarket universal fluids are spec for anything. Just read the bottle.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would NEVER put Mercon V into a manual transmission that didn't explicitly call for it either (additives are too slippery, causes shifting problems).

I'm not aware of Mercon V causing problems in an A4LD automatic... However like said, with Mercon still available (branded as "Dex/Merc"), I'd just go ahead with that since that is what the trans originally called for.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
205/75-R15
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I would NEVER put Mercon V into a manual transmission that didn't explicitly call for it either (additives are too slippery, causes shifting problems).

I'm not aware of Mercon V causing problems in an A4LD automatic... However like said, with Mercon still available (branded as "Dex/Merc"), I'd just go ahead with that since that is what the trans originally called for.
From what AAMCO told me when they rebuilt the transmission in my 88 Bronco 2 3 years ago they were using the MerconV fluid...no issues so far in the 3 years since the rebuild.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
AAMCO is the Jiffy Lube of transmission shops, they probably use whatever's cheapest.