• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld to manual......reverse switch???

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 ranger i took the a4ld trans out and put in a 302 and a ford zf5 trans that has a 2 wire plug on the side that im thinking is a reverse switch so if thats the case what wires do i need to hook up from the a4ld plug to get my reverse lights to come on???????????????thanks andy

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the A4LD out of my 89 Ranger and there was a 5 pin plug. With a little luck your color code may be the same. First find which wire is hot. (mine was purple with an orange stripe.) Then touch the hot wire to each of the other 4 wires till the reverse lights come on. My other wire was black with a pink stripe. Attach these 2 wires to the reverse switch (it's not important which of the 2 wires goes to which of the two terminals).

To check if the switch on the trans is a reverse switch, simply attach an ohmmeter or continuity meter across the 2 pins and shift the trans into reverse.

Two of the other 3 wires were for the neutral sensing switch and the other was for torque converter lockup. I just taped these up and stuck them up out of the way. Hope this helps you. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals