• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD shifting problem

jamie4ltr

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A friend has a 1992 Exploder 4x4 automatic. He says that it has trouble shifting only from 1 to 2 gear. He says he can make it shift if he handles the gas pedal right. Doesn't slip any and shifts fine in and out of every other gear. I am a 5speed guy and don't know much about autos except that they like to grenade! I have a operational A4LD I am going to put in for him, but then got to wondering if the problem is just a solenoid on the outside of the tranny that I could change ALOT EASIER. I keep reading about a 3-4 shift solenoid but that's it! Hopefully someone here can tell me what needs to be done!

powerplantranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check the vacuum modulator on the pass. side of the tranny and see if there is any fluid in it, if so replace it. If that checks ok, then try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins or so, I had weird shifting issues and that took care of it for some reason.

fastford03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would be 90% sure saying it is the modulator. They're about 20-30 bucks depending on where you live and do not buy the adjustable one. They suck. I've been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 10 years and have much experience with an A4LD. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals