• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD - No forward or Reverse Gears

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted and for good reason, I didn't have a Ranger! I just bought a 1990 XLT 4.0L V6 Auto and it has every option checked. I purchased it for a song since it has a transmission issue.

This will be my 3rd Ranger, the other 2 had 5 speed manual transmissions and I can rebuild those in my sleep. I do have Automatic Transmission Rebuilding experience but it was for my daughters 1998 Nissan Altima, which is FWD and much more complicated trans than the A4LD is.

My question is: If I have no Forward & no Reverse Gears and it is not noisy when I try to engage any gear in the trans where should I start when I take it out and split it open? I think it is odd that there are no noises because if there is a hard-part failure it is usually accompanied by a noise, in my experience it's similar to putting a fork in a blender and hitting frappe'...

I've read that it could be Torque converter splines sheared off, that would be a simple fix... has anyone else experienced the same here and could maybe lend me some advice before I start this journey?

Thanks again for your time, glad to be back!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No forward or reverse means no ATF fluid pressure, or very low pressure, at the valve body, I assume increasing engine RPMs "in gear" doesn't help it engage
Did you try 1st gear?

Check fluid level engine OFF
Then check it engine running, should, of course, drop down if pump is working

You could drop the pan and have a look for metal debris, and then drop valve body and look for blown out seals or gaskets

1990 A4LD has 2 solenoids, Torque converter lock up(TCC) and 3/4 shift(OD), neither controls pressure but a blow out would reduce pressure

If trans looks like its been removed recently, then maybe it was re-installed without seating torque converter, so pump was broken when they tightened up the bell housing bolts, checking fluid levels should show that

Last edited:

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply Ron! The fluid looks burned but it also looks over-full... I'm wondering if an overfill condition would cause the same concern?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it would blow out the vent if it gets too full, but trans would still work

Does the level drop when engine is on vs engine off?

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No, it would blow out the vent if it gets too full, but trans would still work

Does the level drop when engine is on vs engine off?
I will check this as soon as I get home from work, it makes sense the fluid level would drop when it is running. At least I would know that the pump is working, then I'd probably inspect linkage and the TV cable adjustments etc.. then if I'm not successful drop the pan and inspect it. If I get no fluid movement I'll still have to drain the fluid before I take the trans down, I'll post some photos of what I find. Thanks again Ron, I appreciate it. :)

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I have some encouraging news... I couldn't get the truck started (Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator - Parts on the way) but I did crank it a few times trying to get it to and checked the level anyway. Looks like the level dropped a bit which means the pump appears to be working, it is SEVERELY overfilled though. So I think I'll drop the pan and start poking around and inspect the linkage to see if I find anything before I drop the trans out of it.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals