• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD mods (and 4R44/4R55/5R55)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No parts, FedEx delayed the delivery, it’s been moved to tomorrow. Figured out that I didn’t have reverse servo O-rings but had the gasket coming. Called a bunch of transmission shops, most didn’t answer. One of the bigger ones answered and when I asked for the parts they told me they don’t sell parts and pretty much hung up on me. Called AAMCO of all places and they said they didn’t sell parts and I explained my problem, they told me they would check in the back. Came back and said they were pretty sure they had the O-rings so I ran down there and got them. Asked how much and they said no charge.

Got home and dropped the pan, it’s dripping now. Not sure how concerned I should be that there was no magnet in the pan and the fluid that poured out was clean red but there’s a pretty good metallic sludge in the pan. Not sure if maybe I should leave that go back in or clean everything out, or just put it back the way it was and pretend I didn’t see anything

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Clean the pan, put a magnet back in, change the fluid again in 500 miles, check it and if it's good refill and ignore it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Due to some delays, I’m only about 2/3 done with the valve body. But it’s progress. Been trying to take some pictures and video as much as I can. I’ll have to stitch all the clips together because I’m not really set up to video what I do very well. Hopefully I can get it all done and back together tomorrow.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So it’s together. Still have to work out some issues, went from not enough fluid to too much, so I’m still working on getting that balanced out. It will randomly hang in gear or give a particularly hard shift. And I think I’m getting some minor slipping. Thinking perhaps the bands need a little adjustment. Went through the ATSG manual but I’m not seeing anything on band adjustment, or I’m just blind. So it’s not perfect and has some weird cranky issues BUT….

Even with the issues, it’s WAY better than before. I’ve never had an RBV with an automatic that shifted this good. Smooth, crisp, no lag. Very well worth it in my opinion. Hopefully getting the fluid level right and adjusting the bands will get it squared away. I will say that the more I drove it the better it’s gotten and it seems to be stabilizing now. Guessing that’s from working air out of all the passages.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have the manual for the 4R/5R that has the band adjustment procedure, It's gotta be the same if not close for the A4LD. Lemme see if I can find it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
And for some reason after digging through it, there's also no band adjustment procedure in my manual either. :icon_confused:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Found these two threads though...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Found these two threads though...

Thank you for that. Don’t suppose anyone knows how to tell if you have a single wrap or double wrap band without tearing the trans apart, lol

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thank you for that. Don’t suppose anyone knows how to tell if you have a single wrap or double wrap band without tearing the trans apart, lol
No idea lol. But if it helps, here's this?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I’m almost a week into having this and I still haven’t worked out the issues due to lack of time and agreeable weather, however I have been driving it and I still marvel at how nice it is. When I do finally get to turn my attention back to my 88 it’s definitely getting the modified valve body. I never want to have an un modified auto RBV again. I’m thinking once I get everything resolved from this and my engine swap I want to get a mild tune on the computer and it will be a sweet little ride. Not that it isn’t already nice, just nothing I own stays stock for long, lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, I still can’t get over how this thing performs now! Despite the limited slip rear it will light up the tires if I’m too hard on the throttle from a stop. Not really used to that. If I’m WOT, it wants to hang the 1-2 shift unless you back off a little. WOT 2-3 shift is perfect. Haven’t investigated that yet. Pretty much all of the other random issues that I got after first putting it back together are gone.

Got the intermediate band adjusted but the overdrive band the adjuster was rusted. Damaged my cheap spline drive socket on it. Have to try running a thread chaser down it and see if I can clean it up enough to work.

Not sure when I’ll get to the video stuff, maybe this winter. Transmission parts supplier never responded about my questions. Still need to post up my final parts list, there was a couple things in the picture of parts that weren’t really needed and some things that were. Maybe today I can at least get to that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So, the truck ended up totaled in an accident that really shouldn’t have happened. No fault of the transmission though. I’m finally getting to be somewhat functional so I’m going to try to spend a little time working on finishing all this information. Maybe I can make a tech article or something out of it. Going to take me a bit though

Lostmy65

Reaction score
When these transmissions get rebuilt, do they solve the issues with the vulnerability of these auto transmissions in this generation Ranger. In other words, if these stock trannies tend to fail in the 150,000 miles range, are they just as prone to fail around that same milage again, or are the weaknesses of these trannies fixed also?
Thanks, Robert

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
When these transmissions get rebuilt, do they solve the issues with the vulnerability of these auto transmissions in this generation Ranger. In other words, if these stock trannies tend to fail in the 150,000 miles range, are they just as prone to fail around that same milage again, or are the weaknesses of these trannies fixed also?
Thanks, Robert
That is highly dependent on the skill and knowledge of your transmission guy. My wife's '95 has 89k on it and the trans failed at some point prior to that (her grandpa had it rebuilt when he owned the truck.) I doubt he put many miles on it but it doesn't shift like it should. I think the guy who worked on it was a moron.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals