• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD loading up in Park

matt23

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1993 3.0 2wd with the A4LD. What it is doing is when I put it in park the pickup will roll forward against the parking pawl, I have learned to put it in neutral for a few seconds before going to park but it sometimes will still load up but after a few minutes. I have done some searching and found where a linkage may need to be bent a little. But I am now experiencing the transmission load up at times, like when i'm sitting at a stop sign or driving slowly down the road. I only have about 20,xxx miles on a reman trans but it was replace about 5 years ago so no longer in warranty. I am probably going to remove the pan and inspect/adjust but would appreciate any feedback or advice.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
"Load up"???

Not sure what that means

Diagram of what shifting to Park does seen here: https://streetsmarttransmission.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/e9686848-pawl-in-notin-park_0go07a0gn079000000001-1.png

This is at the very back of transmission where tail shaft housing bolts on
If you park on a slope and shift into Park the vehicle should/will roll until the park pawl can engage a slot in the output shaft "gear", as shown
When you shift out of Park it can be hard because the weight of the vehicle rolling forward or back is holding the pawl in place

On a slope if you use the Parking Brake first, then shift into Park most of the rolling weight will be held by the Parking Brake and not the parking pawl

matt23

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
By loading up I mean that the transmission is engaging and attempting to move forward against the pawl if shifting from drive to park. If I shift from park to neutral and back to park it will roll rearward if on a slight grade. Another example would be that the engine will not Rev up all they way when it does this . Shifting from to neutral and back to park will allow the engine to Rev up.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It reads like R and P are the issue, shift cable may be loose under the dash, common issue on Ford Trucks with column shifters
Google: Ranger loose column shifter

Or could be out of adjustment at the transmission end of the cable

Block a tire
Move column shifter out of Park
Remove shift cable from transmission shift arm
Manually move transmission shifter thru its full travel feeling each detent as you go, there should be 7 positions
P R N O D 2 1 if memory serves

Put a mark at farthest position for each end

Move the column shifter, should be easy to move its full range, it has no detents now since cable is unhooked, so you can't feel the shift into a gear
Put column shifter in Park
Go to transmission and see if cable end matches P, far end, if it was hooked up, if not then thats the problem, cable is not shifting transmission all the way into Park position, so may still be in R but pawl is engaged

If parking pawl is engaged and Reverse is also engaged then it would be like trying to REV engine with foot on the brakes in R or D, so not much REVing, lol

I would look at these before dropping the pan

matt23

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes but it is applying forward pressure (drive) not reverse

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds odd for sure

R O D 2 and 1 are mechanical choices no solenoids involved
The shift rod in the valve body moves valves that send ATF pressure to the clutches and bands to select "gears"
Maybe O/D valve is sticking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals