• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD delay going into reverse

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
I have an 88 2.9 4X4 Ranger with a A4LD. I have owned the truck about 8 years and it has always had a 1.5 to 2.5 second delay when putting it into reverse. Over the years I have given the trans. a few fluid/filter changes, always checked the levels, torque converter, transfer case, and every thing looks good and runs good except for the delay going into reverse but once it goes into reverse it is fine. It has always been this way. I am just curious if this is normal for this trans. any info would be great, thanks.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Normal? I'd say no as my 90 2.9 A4LD has always gone right into reverse as soon as you shift into it.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Informative read but the pop-up ads on that site are rather annoying......

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
This thread is old and website names are outdated and part #’s may have changed. Photos missing too.
Also have slow shift into Reverse.
1989 ranger 4x4 automatic

Anybody able to confirm if this is the proper pair of O rings below? It’s the only possibly correct looking thing I could find on that site…

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
This thread is old and website names are outdated and part #’s may have changed. Photos missing too.
Also have slow shift into Reverse.
1989 ranger 4x4 automatic

Anybody able to confirm if this is the proper pair of O rings below? It’s the only possibly correct looking thing I could find on that site…

So… there is more to it than just O-rings. There’s also a spring that can be changed and there are (if you can find them) rings that are square or X shaped that work better than normal o rings.

That said, those would be the standard o rings for the A4LD.

Now… after having done valve body mods as well, I would very highly recommend going through that as well when you have things apart. After much debate and research I went with the Transgo shift kit, large boost valve and a couple other goodies. Truck drove so much nicer after all of that. Shifts were crisp but not hard and if I hit the throttle too hard from a stop it would break the tires free. I was working on putting together everything that I did and used and then got distracted but I’ll try to make myself another note to get back to it.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
So… there is more to it than just O-rings. There’s also a spring that can be changed and there are (if you can find them) rings that are square or X shaped that work better than normal o rings.

That said, those would be the standard o rings for the A4LD.

Now… after having done valve body mods as well, I would very highly recommend going through that as well when you have things apart. After much debate and research I went with the Transgo shift kit, large boost valve and a couple other goodies. Truck drove so much nicer after all of that. Shifts were crisp but not hard and if I hit the throttle too hard from a stop it would break the tires free. I was working on putting together everything that I did and used and then got distracted but I’ll try to make myself another note to get back to it.
Thank you this is super helpful! I look forward to hearing more when you have the time. I’ll probably get all the bits you recommend.
For now I am just always letting the truck warm up for a while before putting in reverse and it works decently enough.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thank you this is super helpful! I look forward to hearing more when you have the time. I’ll probably get all the bits you recommend.
For now I am just always letting the truck warm up for a while before putting in reverse and it works decently enough.
I have a post in the transmission forum here about my adventure, it’s not entirely complete yet, but might be worth looking at. I was playing with the video I took when I did the work, not sure if I want to try editing it down or what, there’s like 2 hours of everything, maybe a little less. From pulling he valve body, working through each valve and putting it back together. Bunch of it is kinda terrible because I was doing it all by myself and didn’t have a good holder for the camera. I spent a lot of time wading through posts and stuff back when I did it last year. I had initially read an article that was great on it, but lost it and couldn’t find it again. Pretty sure I found most to all of the info though

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals