• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld argggggg.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
well i bought this 94 explorer(230k miles1 owner kept stock)/ rebuilt trans in the last 4 years), its driving me nuts.

everytime the converter locks up in 3rd or OD on the highway(usually around 50-60 it starts) it get a nasty vibration under the seat and i can't figure it out. as soon as i give it gas and drop a gear or put it in regular it seams normal.

ive rebuilt the rear driveshaft(new u-joints/greased slipjoint)
Ive install new plugs, wires, and a known working coil pack
water pump
checked harmonic balancer seemed to be in good condition
tires are off of ranger and had no vibration issues when i pulled them.
installed lift shackles but pinion angle seams fine.
took slack out of throttle cable / adjusted kickdown
ecu temp sensor
thermostat
cleaned MAF/checked for vacumn leaks

tags where expired when i looked at it(2015) so it was sitting the last 2 years atleast before i got it.

im just at a loss, are these a4ld just that crappy and they can't handle 35s on 3.73s gears?

this thing also feels gutless compared to my 2000 ranger(will barely do 70)mph with the same 4.0 besides the slight hesitation right past idle she runs smooth but i have to floor it just to get her up to highway speed.

but i have the same setup as the ranger had 3" body 2" suspension and 35s

only difference between the 2
3.73(explorer) vs 4.10s(ranger)
5r55e vs a4ld
miles 153k(R) vs 230k(E)

so any thoughts on this a4ld? or should i be planning to yank it soon and swap in the 5r55e(would mean converting the X to OBDII(which i like better for diagnostics) in or just drive it in regular D tell it dies?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Honestly, id be taking a hard look at the torque converter.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Get a tube of this and add to the fluid. May take 30 or more miles to work.
You are describing a torque converter shudder to a T.
Good luck.

View attachment 23328

Last edited:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ive added 2, im starting to think its in the engine, if i put it in 2nd and try to go up the driveway it bogs down and i can somewhat replicate the vibration, im starting to think the compression is down on one of the cylinders..i checked out the egr and its good, the one in my 2000 runs a ton better(no bogging or engine vibration so im at a loss.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
fixed it, number 3 injector was dead(no fuel)..... after 2 weeks of messing with it my neighbor caught it in 5 mins(use to work in a shop)...

never had 1 fail before, oh well i have some ev6 injectors i swapped in from my 2000 ranger and she is running like a top now...

thank-you for the help, i appreciate it,

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
fixed it, number 3 injector was dead(no fuel)..... after 2 weeks of messing with it my neighbor caught it in 5 mins(use to work in a shop)...

never had 1 fail before, oh well i have some ev6 injectors i swapped in from my 2000 ranger and she is running like a top now...

thank-you for the help, i appreciate it,
Wish I’d seen your thread earlier. I just picked up a ’92 Ranger a few weeks ago and had similar vibration issues. Tested the coil pack, wires, plugs, threw some Seafood in the tank, changed the fuel filter, etc. Then I found a rebuilt set of Bosch injectors on eBay for $67. Figured there was no way I could go wrong at that price. Popped them in and it ran like a different truck. The old ones were disgusting and I couldn’t believe that the truck had even been able to idle with them in.

By the way, the 4.0 engine is an OHV version (rated at 160 HP) up until 2000. But starting in ’97 (Ford Explorer), they introduced an SOHC version that bumped the HP up to 210 (anyone who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me here). By 2000, the OHV 4.0 was discontinued. So that may account for the difference you’re noticing in power. Details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine#4.0

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a tube of this and add to the fluid. May take 30 or more miles to work.
You are describing a torque converter shudder to a T.
Good luck.

View attachment 23328
Hey, Transman. I recently picked up a ’92 Ranger Custom with a 4.0 (supposedly with 81k original miles) and A4LD trans. I’m going to be changing the fluid and filter in the trans soon. Would it be a good idea to put a tube of this in while I’m at it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
I would recommend saving as much of the old fluid you can just in case you find a lot of debris in the pan. And put it back in with new filter and top off with new fluid. If pan looks decent put new fluid in and add a bottle of Lubeguard Platinum.
View attachment 23367

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would recommend saving as much of the old fluid you can just in case you find a lot of debris in the pan. And put it back in with new filter and top off with new fluid. If pan looks decent put new fluid in and add a bottle of Lubeguard Platinum.
View attachment 23367
Okay, now I’m confused. Why would anyone ever put old, crappy fluid back into a transmission? :icon_confused:

Also, Lubeguard Platinum instead of the shudder fix, eh? Is that an additive that just helps protects against future shuddering? Is it worth it, do you think?

Thanks. :icon_thumby:

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Wish I’d seen your thread earlier. I just picked up a ’92 Ranger a few weeks ago and had similar vibration issues. Tested the coil pack, wires, plugs, threw some Seafood in the tank, changed the fuel filter, etc. Then I found a rebuilt set of Bosch injectors on eBay for $67. Figured there was no way I could go wrong at that price. Popped them in and it ran like a different truck. The old ones were disgusting and I couldn’t believe that the truck had even been able to idle with them in.

By the way, the 4.0 engine is an OHV version (rated at 160 HP) up until 2000. But starting in ’97 (Ford Explorer), they introduced an SOHC version that bumped the HP up to 210 (anyone who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me here). By 2000, the OHV 4.0 was discontinued. So that may account for the difference you’re noticing in power. Details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine#4.0

yeah both my 2000 and 1994 are the ohvs, never messed with the SOHC.
ive have found some parts interchange while others(like certain sensors)dont between the years.

2000 was the last year for the OHV, 2001 ranger got the SOHC, 99/2000 where a test bed for the 5r55e before putting the higher hp SOHC in front of it in 2001.

in the explores the SOHC was a optional motor. so the produced the OHV and SOHC side by side, so you could have either or in a explorer(along with a 5.0)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals