• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) A very simple question, 1985 Ranger oil type in cold weather?

Aroihkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, my mother has an '85 ranger that I sadly do not have a whole lot of specific info on at the moment, and needs to know what oil should go into it. Knowing the state of the truck, it probably doesn't have any markings on the fill cap or anything at this point. I'm in MO and she's in WA, so I can't exactly go look. :poop: I do know that it's a gas engine, at least. Probably the 2.0? But if answers vary between the 2.0 and the 2.3 please let me know and I'll fling both answers at her.

It's a good little truck that has had a really rough life, and I hope to one day have it as a project vehicle, so I definitely want want it to have good oil. She lives in Spokane WA where it gets pretty cold, and uses it as a sometimes-hauler of lumber and the like, but otherwise it mostly sits and enjoys semi-retirement in a garage. It probably burns some of whatever's put in, but I haven't heard of it chugging it. (I believe right now she's looking to just top off whatever's in there, but doesn't know what rating oil it already has in it.)

Related, is there anywhere to download the '85 owner's manual? I did some searching on here and found some links that had some sporadic manuals back to the mid 90s, but didn't see anything older. I don't have the liquid cash right now to toss at ebay for owner's/shop manuals and the like like I have for my '93 Festiva, but I know the owner's manual should have a lot of this basic stuff in it and the original hard-copy was probably lost twenty-some years ago.

Thanks! (And hi!)

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm pretty sure the 2.3 was a more commonly taken option over the 2.0, but a v6 was also available.

I'd imagine a good 5w-30 would work fine

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that... most places in WA aren't all that cold unless east of the mountains but a 5w-30 or 10w-30 is fine, they aren't too picky, that goes for all of the engines in Rangers too...

Aroihkin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's east of the mountains, 5 minutes from Idaho (y) ty for answers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals