• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A Pinging Problem with a possible solution... HELP

scottsdale

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive been running 91 octane the last 5 or 6 tanks and the pinging is pretty much gone... Ill try switching back to the regular 87 octane for a few tanks and see what happens. And change that dam timing chain when I get the time to see of that helps.... its got 107,000 on it now so its proabably time

I also read somewhere that a guy took his truck in (to the stealership) for an oil change and they did a PCM update... free of charge. They were talking about how this is usually the case when you take your car to a dealership for service its just something the dealer does. He had already replaced just about everything to try and fix the pinging, without fixing it, and after the PCM update the pinging was gone... Im going to take mine in to the dealer to have the speedometer reset after i get my 32's so I might as well ask about a PCM update while im there... what do you guys think? :dunno:

Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
worth a shot. gonna take mine in soon enough for service. i need a trans flush, but every dealer around here has retards working for them.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
My 97 3.0L pinged like crazy when I bought it. I updated the PCM just because I can, it made no difference. I ended up running 3 cans of tune up/combustion chamber cleaner through it and drove the wheels off it. No more pinging and no need for anything other than 87 octane fuel. Carbon build up from babying these engines is the biggest issue.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My 97 3.0L pinged like crazy when I bought it. I updated the PCM just because I can, it made no difference. I ended up running 3 cans of tune up/combustion chamber cleaner through it and drove the wheels off it. No more pinging and no need for anything other than 87 octane fuel. Carbon build up from babying these engines is the biggest issue.
what brand? im gonna run some through mine to help keep it clean

scottsdale

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ill sea foam the crap out of it next time i change the oil. I did it last time and it helped a little but it came back. I do drive it like a grandpa though

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ill sea foam the crap out of it next time i change the oil. I did it last time and it helped a little but it came back. I do drive it like a grandpa though
i give mine a good beating every so often. only fearful of the trans blowing, other then that its bulletproof.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Since I work at a dealership, I used Motorcraft!

Either the one in the aerosol can or the bottle is fine.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Install a 180* t-stat and see if that helps (it usually does), and if that doesn't completely fix it then buy a tuner and retard your timing a degree or two and your pinging problem will be solved.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals