• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A not so simple ranger

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it is charging?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Agreed, that it sounds like you may have a charging problem.

Hard call on the tanks. On one hand, "all new" sounds good, but I have found that good (i.e.- serviceable) original parts usually are MUCH better than anything made today. If it were me, I'd drop the original tanks, inspect and find out what you're dealing with, and then make the decision to clean or replace. I'd also go through and repair or replace the entire fuel system, especially considering the original was tapped into somewhere for the generator.

And seriously, Congratulations on getting it. That's a real nice camping rig, and I would jumped all over it if it were me.

You probably know this already, but any older vehicle will need some repair and maintenance. The advantage of an older "classic", though, is that they're relatively easy to work on compared to the newer vehicles. And to say nothing about what a new rig like that would cost.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Congratulations. Nice buy.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I had to leave the camper at a friends house not the old lady, I know some of you may think I made the wrong choice
Heck no!. Great find and buy. I love that it is fully equipped.

Besides, the things you're forced to deal with now are things you should probably take care of anyway. It's just a shame you couldn't get it all the home where you could operate in more friendly territory.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
WOW, I had a great thought. What if you could put the wife in it and get rid of them both!!! Ok, that’s my fantasy...

Sounds like a boat. The best two days of owning it or the day you buy in the day you sell it.

On a serious note, if there’s no corrosion on the tanks I don’t know why you would replace them. I had to go through the diesel tanks on my F250 a short while ago. It’s sat for a couple of years while my leg was injured. The gas gauges were kind of funky. When I dropped the tanks and pulled the fuel suction lines and sending units, they were a little corroded and gummy. It’s fairly easy to pop off the cover of the sending unit, and very gently clean the coil, but more importantly I used a tiny Dremel moto tool wire brush and I took all the corrosion off the steel housing that the Contact rides on. I secured them back with tiny zip ties.

I also replaced the pick up screens. Sending units were about $100 each, so I saved that and the screens were only about 10 bucks as I recall. Still working perfectly. I enhanced the grab of the new screens by putting a hose clamp around where it slides on the metal tube. There has been a problem with some of them falling off, and you lose a third of your tank capacity.

I never did it before, but now I swear on Seabreeze. If you Google “hot soak with Seabreeze” you can see how to put it in the gas tank at a certain point, run the truck a little bit so It gets sucked up into everything, let it sit for a while, and then run the truck to run it out of the system. Again mine is a diesel, but after I did that, it’s the best its run in 15 years.

Getting started, Ford has these funky quick disconnect fittings that you have to use a little special tool to pop loose. I struggled with it for days and read online where a lot of other guys struggled with them for days. Then I read that if you soak them with penetrating oil, they’ll work properly. So I soaked them with the penetrating oil and let them sit a couple days. I had beat my hands up in the tight quarters trying to get them loose. After spraying them and waiting a couple days, they popped loose so quickly I banged the other side of my hands!

While you’ve got the gas tanks out, it’s always advisable to replace the vent tube, they get stiff and they shrink. And if it’s like mine, on the end of the vent tube there’s a little plastic fitting that has the pinhole to vent the tank. I read many guys drill out that pinhole just a hair bigger, and then they make sure they hang the vent were no mud or dirt will get into it. So you use a little bit more line, I used vacuum tube, and I relocated the vent a little higher.

When I pulled my tanks, there was some trash in them that can be hard to reach. I stretched out a coat hanger and wound around a crumpled up old face cloth, and used it like a mop to reach into the tank and wipe out all the goo and liquid stuff. After the tank was free of vapors, with some PVC pipe, I rigged up like a 3 foot long snorkel for my shop vac, and I easily cleaned everything out of the tank.

I’m in Atlanta so rust isn’t really a big issue, but whenever I do anything like this, especially if it’s not seen, wherever there’s a rub point or wherever there’s any surface rust, I clean it up and then I bathe it in rustoleum.

oh, and I used about a 3/8” x 3 or 4 foot piece a vacuum hose to siphon the old fuel out of the tank’s. That kind of hose always has a curve in it. If you keep track of that curve as you put it in the tank through the fill neck, you can get it right down to the bottom and actually pull out 99% of the fuel before you take the tank down.

And just a general statement, if you don’t hit your head on the frame or the trailer hitch about 10 times, and if you don’t bleed, you’re not doing it right. And you’re only allowed to say “ouch“ if you bleed...

Good luck, sounds like a great project and a fun toy!

Last edited:

MattrickSwayzee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
I thought it through, and I decided to replace both tanks, sending units, the fuel tank switch, fuel lines, pump, and filter. Several reasons led me down this path, for one I really do plan on using this thing for a long while, and don’t want my first attempt to clean a gas tank to cause me problems way back in the woods sometime in the future, another reason is it’s 90 miles from my house to the parts store and 50 miles from there to where the camper is parked so if I have to make more than 1 trip to the store I’m going to waste a lot of time driving around, I also got all this junk through my buddy at the parts store so I got a little discount. Anyways thanks for all the help from everyone that offered advice, I’ll give a few pictures when I get it home, and then I won’t bug you guys on the ranger forum about something that’s not a ranger anymore.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Sounds like you have a good plan, and I agree with your thinking on "all new".

Please do keep us posted, and like most of us, I'd love to see pics of your progress. And by all means, stick around. Your rig is about as close to a Ranger as you can get. Good luck!

MattrickSwayzee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Well I went back for the camper, put new gas tanks, sending units, fuel lines, and pump in it. And then I was all excited to start it and it still ran like crap, so I finally got the rebuild kit for the carb today and put it together, and got all excited again, and it ran bad still, then I saw the hack job on the egr “modification” they did, when I sprayed a little carb cleaner down the hole and saw steam come out where the egr valve is supposed to be. So I made a nice metal plate for that hole and used some of that cut to fit gasket maker to block it off proper, and now she runs like a dream. I only got one new picture of it as it was getting dark as I was finishing up.
9EED3B69-B6C3-45FA-A807-6F93D714EC9B.jpeg

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Congratulations, and thanks for the update. I really like that camping rig, and I think that you did good, on both getting it and then getting it running right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals