• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little problem with my truck. (pics)

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went to the "playground" yesterday and decided I would see how well the old '87 would do it deep snow. We have about 16" of powder on top of about 6" of hard pack. I drove through the plowed snow bank, Up a slight incline, on down into a valley. I came to a stop down in the valley and had to shovel out. It had drifted and the snow was up to my turn signals. The truck has a 5.5" suspension lift and 30s. I ended up shoveling twice within 50 yards.
On the way home I stopped for a stop sign and the idle wouldn't go below 3500! Upon leaving the stop sign it wouldn't rev above 4000. I had a good feeling that it was snow related. I got home and opened the hood. Nothing was visibly wrong. I disconnected the air cleaner and restarted the truck. It idled right and accelerated right. I brought the air cleaner into the house and disassembled it, this is what I found.

I need to modify my air inlet, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but, I need to do something.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmm...maybe a snorkel...that's gotta be deep snow with that kind of lift...

I've done a few drift rams over the years, but I've never had it come into the air intake...but, then again...I don't think I've ever had it hooked up to the front end part...

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is probably going to get a snorkle but, I'm not sure if that would have stopped it from happening. There was a lot of snow blowing around everywhere. The Mutant ponies air inlet is inside the car. It doesn't ever have problems like that.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in Fairbanks, the engine wont get hot enough to melt snow like that.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
i did it super ghetto fab. used some "cold air" intake freebies i got, hacked a hole in the hood stuck the air filter out and built a box around it.

that design failed, the coffee can flew off so i built a box on the hood with some thin steal and super thick plastic curtain material.

it is UGLY as can be but it works!

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hhahahaha thats funny as shit.

Confederate Forge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
soon to be 302
Transmission
Automatic
Mutant pony, why would you want to mess with such a great "cold air intake"??:icon_rofl:

86Ford, I was wondering wtf that was sticking out of your hood.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ugly is too simple a word for it...but if it works...who am I to judge the beauty of the beast...

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the base of my rockers is 24 inches, i have taken in water more than once without any hesitation or burps from my engine. i think i can comfortably say i have been 34-36 inches deep in water without a problem.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey 86. Can you weld? You could finnish that up with some 16ga and make it look pretty rude. Give it a sweet paint job and shit.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey 86. Can you weld? You could finnish that up with some 16ga and make it look pretty rude. Give it a sweet paint job and shit.
yes i can weld, its crude but i am yet to have one fail on me.

i could never bring myself to put that much effort into it. next thing you know i would be fixing that hilljack passenger door correctly, fixing dents, sending it off for a 2k paint job and quit wheeling it all together because i care about its "looks". the more beat up it is the more fun i have had wheeling it!

as for the paint job, that is a 80 dollar paint job on there now, it took me less than a week to add that broken window, crushed door and fender.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the paint job remark was a joke. I had an 87 B2 I felt the same way about. Looks were not top priority.

I dig your sence of humor though 86, you never fail to crack me up.

marlow3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 331
Transmission
Automatic
you could always go the pvc route like i did on my old xj. i took that bitch thru creeks up to the windshield multiple times without a sputter

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im a fan of the cowel induction snorkel:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Snorkel.html

it wont get ripped off by tree branches, and if your in water up to the cowel, you need to make some major changes to more than just your air intake, so running the intake higher than that doesnt get you very far anyway.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
im a fan of the cowel induction snorkel:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Snorkel.html

it wont get ripped off by tree branches, and if your in water up to the cowel, you need to make some major changes to more than just your air intake, so running the intake higher than that doesnt get you very far anyway.
Me too, I may do that someday. I hydro-locked my current motor barely right after I swapped it in, and I think that's part of the reason it's never really been that impressive. Well either that or the fact that it's a 2.9..

I like that that's discreet, since my truck is my DD most of the time (in the colder months) and would never be able to stand a huge chunk of PVC on it. I do kinda like what Crbnunit has too, that looks nice, but I'm not sure how well it would fit a 1st Gen.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals