• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little AOD tech

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

On the right are the gears from an AOD, On the left are gears from a 4r70w. with the parts in the picture (plus a couple more) you can convert the gear ratio for first gear from 240 to 284. It also lowers second gear.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You also need to use the 4R70 ring gear with the planets. I think the AOD planet assemble is stronger than the 4R70w, as i have replaced more sun gears and planets in the 4R70W than i have in the AOD.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, Ive got all the parts I need to do the job but, I just took the pic of the important parts.
This is going to be a complete custom trans. I have built c6's but, this is my first custom AOD, Any tricks would be appreciated.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont have the lip seal tools for installing the pistons you can cut the lip seals especially the early design AOD which had the cast steel drums, so what i do is take some electrical tape and make 2 tight wraps around the piston on the outer lip seal and put them in the freezer for awhile (dont laugh it works) the be quick to pull tape off in kinda in a downward direction and use a lips seal spoon or wire tool for the inner seal and they will fall right in,be sure the seal and piston is free from grease as the tape wont hold. I like to use the superior shift kit for this tranny as well it provides a nice crisp 1-2 shift as well as improves the other shifts. I believe the shift kit will also show you how to check TV valve for wear as well. Another thing is the 2-4 servo has aletter on it A being the biggest which is what you want but the B will work well dont use the C. On the govenor end if the governor fits loosely on the shaft you can take a small piece of rubber Oring and put it under the steel ball then slide the governor on and it will fit tight, also they say not to use a governor with the P stamped on it.

Hope this helps...Bruce and Good luck they are easy to build.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! That is some good stuff. I have the "A" servo. Neither governor has a letter stamp, one has a "3" stamp on it. I will probably have to modify the gov to make it shift where I want anyhow. I have a freezer and an oven in my shop, and they get used for parts all the time. I'll post more pics when it gets closer. When I do a trans it is a long, drawn out process. I don't build trannies for "regular" vehicles.
Also, I read a long time ago about a valve body that allows you to shift into low which requires a 700r4 shifter. Do you know anything about that?
I would love to see some pics of that Ranchero!

Last edited:

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you gona build it for more off roading than street i would use the transgo 1-2 0r the transgo 3 for the AOD i believe the 3 has all the goodies for to make it more like a manual valve body.The Ranchero is kinda in pieces right now but i may have some old pics laying around. We made some mods to the front end and havent got it finished kinda ran out of money..lol. I should have an old pic from years ago with a 514 in it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is for a street/strip car. I may build one in the future for a 4x4 so any tech is welcomed.
I don't have any recent pics of the Mutant pony for the same reason. By fall I plan on starting a 9" ford FRONT end buildup on it. We'll see.
I've seen a lot of El camino/4x4 build ups and have been waiting to see a Ranchero.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Being a trans guy myself, the AOD is going to be the next big thing like the 700R4 in a Chevy. I have had good results with the TransGo kits as well.

Matt

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Lot of the race guy's use to use the AOD because of 3rd gear being direct with no converter slippage, that center shaft is direct from converter to 3rd gear clutches. On the later AOD's like 90 and up ithink an AODE band will fit which is wider.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure why but, I hear a lot of people talk bad about AODs. I like the fact that they come full roller unlike the c6.
The c6 will always be my favorite trans though. It has adjustability and parts availability unlike any other trans.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 2 inch band will not go in unless you change to and aode drum or 4r guts

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Pony heres a pic of the 57 Ranchero i would put some pics in gallery but this dont fit under RBV's Ranger's and Explorers.lol

Since these pics we have added Aluminum wheels a weight box instead of tractor weights and a 4 link suspension to the front end with coil over shocks and of coarse this pic is with the 514 CI and we also so narrowed the front end 10 inches from this pic too.

Last edited:

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bruce, What do you think about removeing the wave washer in the forward clutch and adding a disc?

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Its fine as long as you get your clutch clearances. The only reason the wavy is there is to cushion the engagement of forward gear so it dont bang going into drive. What kinda clutches you gona use?

backerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yeah I heard that the AOD one-way clutch falls apart after 350 horsies. but I believe there is a aftermarket fix for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals