• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A little advise if you please

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good afternoon I have a 2004 edge model with a manual trans. I had a valve spring break about a year or more ago. this wreaked all kinds of havok which resulted in replacing the head along with the other obvious parts. The piston, although dented severely, was not broken and therefore not replaced. Fast forwarding to the night before last I suddenly developed a knock that sounded like a lifter or push rod. After removing the valve covers and finding the lifters to all be tight and in place along with getting small strips of metal out of the oil pan and oil filter I have decided to save myself time and am just going to swap the motor. So my question is due to the 3.0's reputation of breakdowns would it be better on time and cost effectiveness to swap out for a 4.0 or even a 5.0? It is my understanding that Doing either of those is about the same amount of work and parts that are required to be changed. (i.e. wiring harness, instrument cluster, motor mount and transmission) If this is wrong info please also let me know that. I need to get my truck back on the road as it is my sole vehicle but I need it to be reliable. I do handyman work.
I sincerely thank you in advance for your time and shared knowledge

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Hmm.

This is a what are your actual capabilities depends answer.

If....I were happy with current performance.

Swap out to a good fresh 3.0

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The performance leaves me wanting. It doesnt want to get moving and the fuel mileage sucks at an avg of 14 mi/gal. Between my rack and tools I am carrying a lot of weight on a fairly regular basis. This is why I would consider going to the 5.0. I think the mileage would be about the same except that I would have the power and torque to get moving easier. As far as my wrench turning capabilities, im not formally taught or professionally licensed but have been working on cars and housed since I was old enough to swing a hammer. So i would say above average.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you have OBD II state inspection requirements an engine swap is out. I never encountered a 3.0 with a broken valve spring but saw many in early 2000's 4.0 SOHC engines, none caused catastrophic failures luckily. Before you decide which engine to go with check your rear axle tag. If you have 3.45's for example, a swap to 4.10's will help power and I suspect would help gas mileage because the 3.0 wouldn't be working as hard to haul a loaded truck around. I wouldn't spend the time and money to swap in a 4.0 SOHC, a 5.0 wouldn't be much harder and might be cheaper to do. You'll need a ruggeder transmission and a bigger radiator.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
If you have OBD II state inspection requirements an engine swap is out.

Muh? Why is that.?.?

Legally...if it remains titled as a ranger....you need a 2004 compliant or newer engine in most areas...

There is a ton if technicality there... especially if you have a federal compliance guy.... But custom title can mitigate this.

And for sure gearing is key.

But.

If you want more....the 4.0 cammer is the easy button.. and selling yours and buying a whole truck is the real easy way to go.

I would go to a 2004 or newer gm 5.3 or Dodge hemi if I had to deal with emissions. But a f150 coyote is definitely not a bad deal...just a fat bastard.

I like the ranger for it's size. So building to suit is just that.

I would describe my self as you do...

Save for the inquiry... And would consider a 5.3 4l80 swap a cake walk..

And win

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Muh? Why is that.?.?

Legally...if it remains titled as a ranger....you need a 2004 compliant or newer engine in most areas...

There is a ton if technicality there... especially if you have a federal compliance guy.... But custom title can mitigate this.

And for sure gearing is key.

But.

If you want more....the 4.0 cammer is the easy button.. and selling yours and buying a whole truck is the real easy way to go.

I would go to a 2004 or newer gm 5.3 or Dodge hemi if I had to deal with emissions. But a f150 coyote is definitely not a bad deal...just a fat bastard.

I like the ranger for it's size. So building to suit is just that.

I would describe my self as you do...

Save for the inquiry... And would consider a 5.3 4l80 swap a cake walk..

And win
If the OBD II test is done with the Gordon Darby system like NH uses, the VIN on the registration has to match the VIN in the PCM. You could put a complete 2001 Explorer 5.0 with all the emissions equipment intact into a 96 Ranger, which would be an improvement and reduction in emissions, and it wouldn't pass. That's why I started with a 93- it's pre OBD II. We had to start emissions testing because the feds threatened to withhold highway dollars, we didn't choose to do it. Several foreign vehicles will pas with up to 3 fault codes present, that never made sense to me either.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If the OBD II test is done with the Gordon Darby system like NH uses, the VIN on the registration has to match the VIN in the PCM. You could put a complete 2001 Explorer 5.0 with all the emissions equipment intact into a 96 Ranger, which would be an improvement and reduction in emissions, and it wouldn't pass. That's why I started with a 93- it's pre OBD II. We had to start emissions testing because the feds threatened to withhold highway dollars, we didn't choose to do it. Several foreign vehicles will pas with up to 3 fault codes present, that never made sense to me either.
I think NH will remain on my " nice places to visit but don't want to live there" list.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

take a chance

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thank you for all of the responses. Im going to try to find a 3.0 motor and keep it as is so i can get it back on the road. From what I was told today it will be anywhere from a week to 6 weeks before I can even get one here then I still have to transfer the parts and drop it in. This forum has helped and saved me on more than one occasion so thank you.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I think NH will remain on my " nice places to visit but don't want to live there" list.
The Gordon Darby system is the most commonly used one in states with OBD II testing. NH didn't design it or mandate it, that's your federal tax dollars at work.
Live free or die isn't a joke, it's part of a quote from General John Stark after the battle of Bennington, Vt during the Revolutionary War-" Live Free Or Die- there are far worse fates than death." Constitutional carry, no pistol permit required. No sales or income tax. Almost no cities.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The Gordon Darby system is the most commonly used one in states with OBD II testing. NH didn't design it or mandate it, that's your federal tax dollars at work.
Live free or die isn't a joke, it's part of a quote from General John Stark after the battle of Bennington, Vt during the Revolutionary War-" Live Free Or Die- there are far worse fates than death." Constitutional carry, no pistol permit required. No sales or income tax. Almost no cities.
I like the motto. It was someone else who mentioned that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
20 years on here, I have only ever heard the bit of the VIN having to match the computer from you in NH.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
20 years on here, I have only ever heard the bit of the VIN having to match the computer from you in NH.
After working with salesmen for over 4 decades I have realized I can't control what other people don't know.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After working with salesmen for over 4 decades I have realized I can't control what other people don't know.
Just saying, it does not come up on here often... or really at all.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Vin matching to 2004 is not always what it sounds like. Though the walk around on it is what caused issues tuning. You can vin match as long as it readiness matches and passes tests it's fine

In NH...I don't remember the specifics.

Custom title....such as assembled/rebuilt...or Reconstructed...or composite vehicle or similar....depending on where you live....and sometimes exempt titling or new emissions matching can all work...and can be a shit ton of work to wade through. And net an uninsurable vehicle...well...not cheap to insure.

Those are the standard workarounds for the Darby system.

That is what allows an engine swap ...

That is why you don't hear of it being a problem....

Because it is not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals