• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a.i.r. pump on 92 F150 guestion.

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok so i also have a 92 F150 5.8 2wd w/ e4od auto tranny. but the stupid a.i.r. pump doesn't seam to work. and it isn't connected to the exshaust like it is supposed to be. i want to know is any one knows if i can just remove the whole system. it doesn't connect to the egr in any way. but the whole system is a mess of hoses and shit. unfortunetly the truck had a 5.0 in it and the dude who put in the 5.8 wouldn't tell me were or what he got the 5.8 out of. any ideas would be good.
thanks
Volrath~mitch

Red 88 Ranger GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 4 now
Transmission
Manual
Air

The A.I.R. system introduces air into the exhaust to warm up the cat converter faster(upstream)then aid the cat when warm(down stream).If your not in an emission test area and/or the cats have been deleted,you can do away with them.Your truck probably won't pass an emissions test.

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
there is no emission test here. it has air "injected" heads too.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id do away with it, ive passed emissions without them anyways so i dont know there real purpose.....just another expensive ford part togo bad

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When smog pumps were used, it was because the oxidation bed in the cat converter had an oxygen starvation problem. Injected heads or not. Though I'm a bit surprised any of this is in use as late as 1992, since OBD-I mixture strategies really ought to take care of that (it's why EFI systems "switch").

While you might get away with removing it, it's a Federal crime with a substantial fine attached. And it's probably not a good idea to admit to having done that in a public forum.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive seen air systems up to '96 on f-250+ trucks....not sure why ford held onto it so long :dntknw:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When smog pumps were used, it was because the oxidation bed in the cat converter had an oxygen starvation problem. Injected heads or not. Though I'm a bit surprised any of this is in use as late as 1992, since OBD-I mixture strategies really ought to take care of that (it's why EFI systems "switch").

While you might get away with removing it, it's a Federal crime with a substantial fine attached. And it's probably not a good idea to admit to having done that in a public forum.

its only a federal crime to remove functional emissions equipment, if it was a federal crime to remove any emissions equipment then we could not replace catalytic converters.

it is not a federal crime to remove a non operative air pump system as long as u pass emissions for your model year

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You CANNOT pass emissions for a 1988+ vehicle with a lit or defeated check engine light. That's part of the Clean Air Act.

The Clean Air Act doesn't distinguish between functional and nonfunctional equipment. It suggests that it doesn't make any difference in the sense that there are exceptions to the tampering clause for repair or conversion to cleaner fuel, but not complete removal.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You CANNOT pass emissions for a 1988+ vehicle with a lit or defeated check engine light. That's part of the Clean Air Act.

The Clean Air Act doesn't distinguish between functional and nonfunctional equipment. It suggests that it doesn't make any difference in the sense that there are exceptions to the tampering clause for repair or conversion to cleaner fuel, but not complete removal.

it never tripped a CEL and therefore at inspection when they performed the visual emission equipment check they did notify me that my truck did not have a air pump, i explained it had failed and was consiquintly removed, they informed me if the vehicle fails emission it will be required to reinstall a functional unit, i passed emissions with flying colors. and my CEL light was functioning 100% aswell

dont tell me what will or will not pass, becuase u never took my truck through nj inspection (and they dont let anything slide)

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Hell my 96 F250 5.8l that I just bought wouldn't trip a check engine light *if* I were to hollow out the cat. I had always assumed that 96 was the starting year for OBDII on all vehicles but apparently not. I get the thing and it has an EEC connector under the hood and only one o2 sensor before the cat. Apparently from what I found out certain larger vehicles were exempt from the transition to OBDII for some time. And yes, being a 96 mine also does have a smog pump. I only really had the thing for a week now and the gas mileage is already making me consider getting rid of it when the title comes back! Good thing I kept my ranger around just incase.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hell my 96 F250 5.8l that I just bought wouldn't trip a check engine light *if* I were to hollow out the cat. I had always assumed that 96 was the starting year for OBDII on all vehicles but apparently not. I get the thing and it has an EEC connector under the hood and only one o2 sensor before the cat. Apparently from what I found out certain larger vehicles were exempt from the transition to OBDII for some time. And yes, being a 96 mine also does have a smog pump. I only really had the thing for a week now and the gas mileage is already making me consider getting rid of it when the title comes back! Good thing I kept my ranger around just incase.
just take the f-250 off the road and work on it for a while, get it the way u want it while u drive the ranger, becuase if gas prices ever go down, then ull have a fullsize toy ready to rock and roll

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals