• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few stupid questions re: thermostat switch for electric fan

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Gonna try again to swap in this efan...this time using a non adjustable switch.

I would like advice on what temp range to use, and where to install my thermo switch.
If temp range depends on thermostat, I'd like the ranges for both a 180 and 195 thermostat.
I have hose adapters to run the fitting in the upper or lower radiator hose, or heater hose, would like ideas on where to start first, and hopefully last.

BTW Its a '93 4.0 OHV 5 spd manual w/ the thin core radiator if that matters. Also I have no cooling issues at the moment (just about everything's been replaced)

The temp ranges confuse me a bit. for example if the temp range is 200 on and 185 off, and I have a 195 thermostat, wouldn't the fan always be on? Or does the location difference affect the temps enough to where the range needs to overlap in order not to? Or do I need a higher temp range w/ the hotter thermstat?

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used a BMW switch mounted in the outlet from the engine to the radiator. It has two temp. ranges. You could just cut the hose and mount a metal pipe with the switch threaded into it. The BMW switch works great with my Volvo fan. I'm using the double core 4.0 radiator with my 5.0 V8 and here in TX even on 100+ days I've never had an issue with overheating. I think there is some information in the tech articles on using the BMW switch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If using a "200 on and 185 off" use it on the upper hose closer to rad than engine
And be sure to mount it side ways or on the bottom so it stays covered in coolant, top side mount can get uncovered if you get air in the system

It will be on as needed, if thermostat is only open a bit then coolant at the temp switch may be under 185deg, if its over 185 then you need the extra cooling

While I would prefer using the temp switch as a ground you can use it for the 12v activation of the fan relay and also hook up the 12v AC trigger, with a diode, to turn on fan relay

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I used a BMW switch mounted in the outlet from the engine to the radiator. It has two temp. ranges. You could just cut the hose and mount a metal pipe with the switch threaded into it. The BMW switch works great with my Volvo fan. I'm using the double core 4.0 radiator with my 5.0 V8 and here in TX even on 100+ days I've never had an issue with overheating. I think there is some information in the tech articles on using the BMW switch.
I had to switch to the thinner radiator for my fan to fit. Its an FFD dynamics. I tried a flex a lite slim fan, but it still wouldnt clear w/ the big radiator. Yea I been doing a of reading, trying to determine my approach angle to this. Good stuff, sounds like a solid setup, thanks.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
If using a "200 on and 185 off" use it on the upper hose closer to rad than engine
And be sure to mount it side ways or on the bottom so it stays covered in coolant, top side mount can get uncovered if you get air in the system

It will be on as needed, if thermostat is only open a bit then coolant at the temp switch may be under 185deg, if its over 185 then you need the extra cooling

While I would prefer using the temp switch as a ground you can use it for the 12v activation of the fan relay and also hook up the 12v AC trigger, with a diode, to turn on fan relay
Sounds good, I was thinking go upper hose for the sensor, theres a nice straight section I can splice into, and run wires cleanly from.
I plan to connect it to ac trigger using diode/relay. Based on what I learned from replies to my other posts.

I switched to a 195 thermostat not too long ago and the temp gauge stays in the middle, or slightly above. I am running stock clutch fan for now. good info on the side or bottom mount, I will be sure to mind that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals