• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a few questions... and hopefully a few answers..

Tyler Shensky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just bought another ranger. i got it for a really good price of a family freind. It has some issues that i cant figure out. dont get me wrong, im great with engines but when it comes to all the wiring on obdII stuff im lost.
the issues....
-speedo doesnt work. iv replaced both the speed sensor and sensor in the diff. what else should i check? would a bad ground do this?

-gas gauge doesnt work. the guy said he put a new fuel pump in about a year ago and it hasnt worked since. im thinking he put in a used pump and the sensor doesnt work. any imput?

-idle issue? sometimes when i push in the clutch/or put it in nuetral, the rpms shoot up to 3000 and stay there until i put it back into gear and let off the clutch. any idea of what would cause this? a f-ed up cat? idle sensor somewhere?

-door ding..... how the f$%@ do you get this to shut off when you take the key out of the ignition??? it drives me crazy.

I hope someone can help me out here. im trying to avoid taking it into a shop. id rather do it myself if possible. thanks.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the door ding issue-
i rip the buzzer/ding-er out of every vehicle i drive. should be under the dash typically in a driver side fuse panel thing.

note: havent done it to the b2 yet bc its not driving yet... :(

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Yes, a bad ground could do this, but not likely. Did you check the fuse for the instrument panel? (gas guage and speedo issue). The throttle issue could be O2 sensor (if you have one), bad cat, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, or stuck choke.

Last edited:

Tyler Shensky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
all the fuses are good.. i went and got it scanned today. it gave me a code for egr problems. that could mean bad valve, vacumm leak or stuff of that sort which would mess up my idle. im thinking the egr valve opens and stays open letting exhaust into the engine and causing it to rev.... but thats just a theory.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 89 does that hanging idle thing, but only when its cold out... once you figure this out PLEASE post it, so i can get this taken care of on mine...

i bet your lack of speedo and fuel gauge are one in the same issue... i would have put money on a fuse...

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Favorite cause for the fuel gauge is a float that doesn't.

Tyler Shensky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your saying the float isn't floating?

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My fuel gage has not worked for a few years. I changed out the pump and installed another assembly. I tested the sender with a meter. I checked the float and it was floating. My gage still does not work. There has to be a resistor in line the allows the voltage to come thru to the correct voltage.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The float costs $8 at Ford.
It's a PITA to replace (removing the bed is the preferred method).
It may be a bad sender (which "holds" the fuel pump he replaced) or it may be a bad connection at the top of the sender.

The fuel gage and speedometer do not share power or ground.
The speedometer is mechanically driven by a gear and cable, all the way to the instrument panel. The gear could be stripped or the cable could be snapped. If you replaced the speed sender, you wasted money. That sensor simply feeds the computer, not the speedo itself.

The Chime module has a Black wire with a Pink stripe that goes from the ignition key warning switch to the chime module. It sounds as if your ignition key warning switch is bad; is your switch sloppy? If you decide to cut that BK/PK wire, INSULATE the ends because it is a ground seeking circuit. That means if that wire touches the chassis, the Key IN chime will come on when you open the door.

For the racing idle, first clean the IAC. If that doesn't help, you need to investigate the possibility of a vacuum or air intake leak.

So, you have TWO Rangers? The reply I gave above is all based on 1993 (listed under your username). If it's a 95+, the speedo is NOT cable driven.

Last edited:

Tyler Shensky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled apart the dash today and the chime stopped and now works properly. I didn't even change anything. The one im referring to is a 97. It doesn't really have a poor idle, but when I shift before the engine is warmed up fully it revs up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals