• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few new things.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I know I just got TOTM and you all are tired of seeing me, but I figured I would post an official thread about my little truck. I did a few things to it recently, and am working on making it 4WD, so I'll show a few pictures and see what you think.

I just got new 6" SkyJacker leaves in the rear. They ride great and are MUCH better than those sky-scraper blocks I had under there. The only downside is the credit bill... :stop:

As you can also tell, I just made a snorkel for my truck. It's 2" PVC drain pipe, with a little flexible braided 2" PVC in the fender. I attached a threaded end onto the airbox, so I can put a cap in it when I got offroad, but take it off when I'm travelling en-route so my gas mileage isn't completely horrible (a little late for that, though ;missingteeth;). It worked pretty good on its debut at Yankee. I was running through water up to the headlights (yes, the water was swamping the cab), and no hydrolock!

Also, the safari doors are great. Nice ride when it's hot out, but the Staties don't like 'em too much.

Also, I got some plastic Summit seats and some used 5-points. They're great when running through uneven stuff. It's nice getting to the end of a mud hole and not being in the passenger's seat. :blush:

And Wal-Mart console secures beverages with the grip of a thousand Vikings.

As you can tell, it gets pretty muddy inside, which is exactly the way I like it. No, the switches on the dash don't do anything right now. Those are from a by-gone era. The CD/DVD player is hooked to a 600W amp, and keeps the blood pumping while I'm waist-deep in goo, trying to work the winch. I also got a free CB from a buddy, and don't really know how to set it up properly, but it worked good last time I went out with other trucks.

Red button by the steering column is for $6 HF are horn. Sounds like an ice-cream truck, which is definitely intimidating.

Lastly, I wanted to show my bumper a little better, completed. This was my first intense welding project, and I think it came out well. I got comfortable with my Lincoln AC-225 and some 1/8" 7018s. It's made out of some 2" natural gas line (don't know what schedule or whatever, but it is THICK). I know, go on with the tube v. pipe story, but I didn't have $300 to spend on DOM.

Also pictured is my 8000LB HF winch and the waterproof solenoid box I built, because the original SUCKED. I'm working on putting my lights on the bumper, but I've been too lazy to drill all of the holes. I'm thinking of somthing hokey to do instead. We'll see where that goes...

Lastly, I'm working on the 4WD conversion, and I got my D30 cleaned up, saving money for gears for it and my 7.5" Also got a BW 1354 electric, which I'm cleaning up and making into a "manual" T-case. Now I just need a transmission, some driveshafts, and a few prayers, and I will be ready to get as stuck as I probably did $1000 earlier.

Cheers mates! :beer:
Colin.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Truck's lookin awesome Colin. Do you have any buildup pics on the snorkel or any underhood pics? I'm looking to install one but don't know exactly how to get started.

Also curious about the math link in your sig. Is that something you put together yourself and is it a help resource? I'm attempting calculus right now and in need of some things to get cleared up.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
awesome, Im in love with your truck..some what cause its 2wd...but not for long :bawling:
lol, awesome truck anyways

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Truck's lookin awesome Colin. Do you have any buildup pics on the snorkel or any underhood pics? I'm looking to install one but don't know exactly how to get started.
Well, the cap on the air-box came off (damn Mighty-Putty), so I'll be taking it apart soon to fix it. I'll take pictures of what I did, and document it, if you want. Only cost about $20 in parts, but will save hundreds in engine repair!

Also curious about the math link in your sig. Is that something you put together yourself and is it a help resource? I'm attempting calculus right now and in need of some things to get cleared up.
I'm going to school for a bachelor's in mathematics (applied, not teaching). My last semester is this fall. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I can probably help you, or show you where to find what you need. Calculus is my strong point.

Those articles are some things I did in class and on my own, and I wanted to document them for a potential employer to see.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the cap on the air-box came off (damn Mighty-Putty), so I'll be taking it apart soon to fix it. I'll take pictures of what I did, and document it, if you want. Only cost about $20 in parts, but will save hundreds in engine repair!

I'm going to school for a bachelor's in mathematics (applied, not teaching). My last semester is this fall. If you need any help, feel free to PM me. I can probably help you, or show you where to find what you need. Calculus is my strong point.

Those articles are some things I did in class and on my own, and I wanted to document them for a potential employer to see.
Cool, ya I'd like to see a few detailed pics of the snorkel set-up. You mentioned box, is that your style of air filter? I have the cone so it may be different. Although I'm more curious about routing pipe through the fender right now.

Also thanks, I'll probably be sending you something here soon. Calc 1 final is about 2 weeks away then I'm starting Calc 2 in the fall. I'm attempting to go for mechanical engineering, provided I can make it through this. It's just hard as hell trying to keep up and remember everything as it all builds on what came before.

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, ya I'd like to see a few detailed pics of the snorkel set-up. You mentioned box, is that your style of air filter? I have the cone so it may be different. Although I'm more curious about routing pipe through the fender right now.
I don't know about your truck, but mine has this watermelon-shaped air box for a cone filter. The bottle-neck at the end is 2" OD, so it was perfect for slipping an elbow over and running a tube up the fender. I'll take some pictures, I should tear it apart this weekend to fix it. It was pretty easy to do, just need a 2.5" hole saw for the fender, which I didn't have, and I think the saw cost more than the rest of the supplies!

Also thanks, I'll probably be sending you something here soon. Calc 1 final is about 2 weeks away then I'm starting Calc 2 in the fall. I'm attempting to go for mechanical engineering, provided I can make it through this. It's just hard as hell trying to keep up and remember everything as it all builds on what came before.
Don't know what your Calc II is like, but it was my favourite. Taylor series and converging integrals r0x mah s0x.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
man how much lift is on that bad boy and what size tires? thanks awesome truck

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
man how much lift is on that bad boy and what size tires? thanks awesome truck
6" Skyjacker, with Belltech shackles and 2" of steel washers. So, theoretically, 7-8", but the front is sagging a lot, part from bumper and winch, and part from beating the hell out of the coils.

Tires are 33x12.50 TSLs.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
awesome man thanks alot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals