• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A different kinda diesel...

Crazy Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Last Christmas, I bought 2006 Mazda 2.0L turbo diesel complete power-train from a JDM importer with the intent to put it in my 32' pickup build. By the time it arrived, I discovered it was not going to fit. The tranny is manual, and as far as I can see, I am not going to fine any other tranny to fit very easy. Add to that, the included computer is all in Japanese and I can't seem to find any conversion info on the engine.

Enter the Ranger...

I have tentatively decided to put it into a later model Ranger. But one that I am looking at is an auto and my engine/tranny package is 5-spd manual, AWD/4WD. I tried to sell the package, but it loooks like I am stuck making an all-terrain, daily-driver to go to town and get the mail in...

My questions start with, ... What is involved with a 99' supercab w/ auto trans, converting the peddles to a manual? Is the floor shift as straight forward in the newer models as it was in the mid to late 80s? (that is where my Ranger expertise is now.)

Is the instrument cluster as screwed up in the Ranger as in the Jeep TJ series? (I put a Cummins 4bt in one - what weeny dash set up for factory...)

Is there any place that can help me with the remapping of a Japanese diesel RF engine computer? (Enquiring minds want to know)

I am open to all suggestions at this point. Even passing on the this particular Ranger for a better match.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can swap out the pedal assembly pretty easy, and swap to manual steering column as well if you want

The floor shift cut out will be there under the carpet in an automatic

1999 Ranger dash/cluster is still analog for the gauges if that's what you mean, although Tach connects to computer for it signal, not sure what the diesel used for tach signal, but there are a few interfaces that can be used for that

1998 to 2000 Ranger used rear axle ABS sensor for speedo and cruise so easy to keep them working in a engine swap

The GEM module, is the Body computer, in 1995 thru 2003 Rangers, and has no needed connection to engine computer
GEM did run 4x4 system in 1995-2000 Rangers

Not familiar with your diesel setup so can't say what it would need from the Vehicles system to work, I wouldn't think much, just 12v and grounds, and, of course, new fuel system

Last edited:

Crazy Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
You can swap out the pedal assembly pretty easy, and swap to manual steering column as well if you want

The floor shift cut out will be there under the carpet in an automatic

1999 Ranger dash/cluster is still analog for the gauges if that's what you mean, although Tach connects to computer for it signal, not sure want the diesel used for tach signal, but there are a few interfaces that can be used for that

1998 to 2000 Ranger used rear axle ABS sensor for speedo and cruise so easy to keep them working in a engine swap

The GEM module, is the Body computer, in 1995 thru 2003 Rangers, and has no needed connection to engine computer
GEM did run 4x4 system in 1995-2000 Rangers

Not familiar with your diesel setup so can't say what it would need from the Vehicles system to work, I wouldn't think much, just 12v and grounds, and, of course, new fuel system
Thanks, Ron. Will look into all this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals