• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A different approach..Duraspark/TFI/HEI

John Smith

Reaction score
I'm finally getting ready to clean up the engine compartment on this 84 2.8L and have decided to remove the Stock Dizz now. One of the reasons i was putting it off was to make a decision about what coil, "spark box", and locations of all of it along with wiring harness etc.

I have been aware of the use of an HEI module along with the stock TFI coil and it seems to me to be the best of all worlds for high voltage/reliability when using the TFI coil and straight 12volts. I have found a few write-ups about this from former days. and would like to know if any here have done this successfully for a 2.8L. I have a hunch an aftermarket "duraspark" blue box may not last a long up against a TFI coil and the availability of OEM Ford Duraspark II boxes are not as cheap as an HEI module for sure..so I'm leaning that way. If any here have done this and can address the pros and cons i would appreciate it. Also the part number of the most desirable 4 pin module would be kewl as well..as some are different dwells i understand...
regards..

The HEI ignition wired up inside the Duraspark case:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/ignition-articles/492810-tricky-trick-hei-module-inside-duraspark-case.html

"One popular and cheap ignition option for Ford enthusiasts is using a GM 4-pin HEI ignition module to trigger the coil. Though it is considered high blasphemy by some in the Ford community, the idea is almost as old as the technology itself. Just do an internet search. It is all done while retaining the Duraspark distributor and using any number of aftermarket coils. Many use the later Ford TFI coils. The HEI runs off of 12 volts, and when using an aftermarket or TFI coil there is no ballast-resistor needed. Users of this setup tell tales of a stronger spark, better starting, and smoother idle. The big plus is that the HEI module costs 15-20 bucks and a spare can sit in your glove box."

Seems like something to consider...and since the first thing people recommend when anyone has trouble with the stock EECIV system is to "duraspark it"...a complete consideration of these options would be in order along with the reasoning behind it..and since economy is always good with a carb..the hotter spark from A TFI coil would be desired as well for better ign and longer plug life...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1555&pictureid=7801

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im just running the Duraspark box, TFI coil and Duraspark dizzy. All of the wiring was plug and play, being mine was a pre 85, and the longest part was just taking the TFI dizzy out and putting the Duraspark dizzy in. The tech library has a great writeup and a few great diagrams in it, why try to re-invent the wheel?

To be honest, is outrages spark needed for a 2.8? It isnt going to do a thing for them unless you have cammed them, stroked them, etc..... then maybe.

John Smith

Reaction score
good mornin''

A quick comeback, i appreciate it..I wish i could find an OEM "Motorcraft box"..I have bought one at the "zone" box store along with a 2691 diz. I had to return the first diz, ( it had about .030" side play in the upper part of the reluctor shaft). I had them get me another one and it had about .020" play in the shaft..so i eventually found one at another place for $55 that had the bushings replaced. To make a long story short i guess i would have to say my confidence isn't real high in the current supply of aftermarket parts especially when it comes to critical electronic parts.

So you just plugged in to your TFI coil?...Mine is an 84 so i assume it doesn't have a resistor in the wiring loom for "RUN" so i could do that. Where did you mount your "spark box"?...I know it fits in place of the stock tfi coil I DO know i want to use a High voltage coil I was just under the impression the original duraspark boxes weren't made for lightin' up a full 12v coil that didn't have a ballast resistor...so I was trying not to put a strain on an already week box that now comes from overseas...but maybe it will work ok..good to hear yours in doing fine..

a hot spark is good though..to keep the plugs clean and promote better economy... but if ur successfully using the TFI coil..you're doin good i think..

Im just running the Duraspark box, TFI coil and Duraspark dizzy. All of the wiring was plug and play, being mine was a pre 85, and the longest part was just taking the TFI dizzy out and putting the Duraspark dizzy in. The tech library has a great writeup and a few great diagrams in it, why try to re-invent the wheel?

To be honest, is outrages spark needed for a 2.8? It isnt going to do a thing for them unless you have cammed them, stroked them, etc..... then maybe.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you look at the first page of my build thread (click the click me in my sig), it has a pictures of where I mounted everything. I mounted on the passengerside, had to extend a few wires but wanted it there out of the mess of wires on the driverside.

Heres a link to everything you need to know along with diagrams from the tech library.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2_8Duraspark.html

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
I'm using an Accel canister coil and DS box. Runs great! here's a pic of my set up.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is how I wired mine to retain the stock coil (which is a pretty hot coil compared to a canister one)

I did mine in '07, and when I decided to move on from my 2.8 the 302 plugged right in and is still using the same setup.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The v8 im looking at has the same setup too for the igntion.

Using the TFI coil will save you money by keeping you from having to buy the canister coil and resistor.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
What I like about the TFI coil is the heat range on the plugs is correct also I prefer stock autolite single platinum plugs myself.

John Smith

Reaction score
All good comments

I appreciate the responses., all good for sure. I am going to start this weekend to come up with a wiring arrangement using the stock TFI coil. In time I may scrounge up a real Motorcraft "blue" spark box or two..in the mean time I'll see how this "zone clone" holds up. If anything fails I have a couple 4 pin modules i can throw inside the standard finned box and at least my wiring won't be changed much if it happens that way..great replies all..best wishes for all who are running these "new/old" or old/new" designs we like to play with...now on with the quest for a little better "performance/mileage" out of these carbed motors....

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
My zone clone works just fine but the HEI 4 wire works well also If you use the HEI mount it on a good heat sinc like a computer cpu and use the grease also to help cool it down or mount the duraspark module as far from the engine as possible. I got my dizzy harness out of a 1984 ranger with a four cyl makes it truly plug and play.

John Smith

Reaction score
Good Ideas..

One of my reasons for planning this out some, i probably will eventually use a dursparked version of one of my 2.3's in this 84 and i wanted to be able to plan for a driver's side diz location in the wiring. I'll make up my own harness probably with that in mind anyway. I just wanted to include the HEI solution as an option since it provides another way to solve the issue of a cheap replacement for a bad bad spark box. and btw, I appreciate your quest for excellence in running a carb here for these motors...but i will say I'm goin to try to beat 20mpg's if at all possible..we'll see how this 2.8 runs after this change and a few adjustments to the valves etc..I pulled apart this old 2100 here i have (1.01) and it already has 46 jets..have you ever recurved a 2.8 diz at all?...i will try to run as advanced as possible..up to the ping if i can hear it well enuf..

My zone clone works just fine but the HEI 4 wire works well also If you use the HEI mount it on a good heat sinc like a computer cpu and use the grease also to help cool it down or mount the duraspark module as far from the engine as possible. I got my dizzy harness out of a 1984 ranger with a four cyl makes it truly plug and play.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals