• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A couple 9" questions...

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I posted this same thing in the Ranger axles section and didn't notice. So I'm re-posting here. Sorry.

So to start things off, I'm looking into saving up for the Dixon Bro's Racing long travel coilover swap for my Explorer.

http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/content/view/8/6/

It says it makes the truck 4.5" wider per side.

Based on my measurements, I'd have to find a rear axle that measures 68.5" in order to match up to the front.

I've found that a '72 Ford Van 3/4 ton has a Ford 9" that's 68" wide.

My big problem with that, however, is that I JUST bought my rims that are 5x4.5 bolt pattern and that's the way I want to stay.

Is there a way I could get this axle to work with my stock bolt pattern? Or, is there another axle available that I haven't noticed that would work with this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could get wheel adapters, which I would not rccomend. Or I have heard or people either re drilling the axle shaft ( probly wrong term) or getting custom axles for the rear

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah..I was leaning towards custom shafts..but I have no clue how much that would set me back and not sure where I'd get that done around here.

Ideally I'd like to maybe come across some shafts that have the 4.5" bolt pattern that are long enough to swap in. Although I doubt that any of those exist.

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Check for 80-82 F100 axles. Some of these trucks used the 4.5" bolt circle, and they all had a 9" axle.
If it wasn't pouring rain still (6" and counting in the last 3 days) I'd crawl under my 80 F150 to get an axle width measurement for you.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You won't find a stock axle in the 4.5" pattern that wide, and if you do manage to wrangle up a 3/4 Econoline axle (they're rare around here...) then all you need to do is redrill the axle flanges to the small pattern and do a little work to throw your explorers disk brakes on it.

Having a slightly narrower rear isn't usally a big deal though, and actually helps in cornering. IIRC they're 65", so 1.75" per side which wouldn't be too bad.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
it would be more than that. The 8.8 on the explorer is only 59" wide according to the charts in the tech library and the econovan axles "should" be 68".

I'm just trying to get as close as possible 'cause I can't stand the look when the front is wider than the rear. The old chevy 3/4 tons are bad for that.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it would be more than that. The 8.8 on the explorer is only 59" wide according to the charts in the tech library and the econovan axles "should" be 68".

I'm just trying to get as close as possible 'cause I can't stand the look when the front is wider than the rear. The old chevy 3/4 tons are bad for that.
actually.....the front of your explorer is already wider then the rear, take a tape measure to it if u dont believe me....

and it wouldnt be more then that.....u take the axles out of the 9" that measure 68" and u take them to a driveline shop(if u cant do it yourself) and have the flange redrilled for 5x4.5 and then get creative for your disc brakes to be swapped or look into the dirt simple 9" disc brake conversion.

simple

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals