• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C High Side Service Port Leak

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I had no AC in my 94 F250 today and noticed oily residue around the high side port. I haven’t driven it in a month or so but it worked fine then. After confirming all the refrigerant is gone with a gauge or getting it recovered if it isn’t, can I just replace that component or do I need to change any others like the dryer before evacuation and recharge?

I know it’s not a Ranger but the HVAC system components don’t seem too different model to model.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I'd just change the Schrader valve or whatever you think is leaking and then pull a vacuum to confirm fix. If it holds then refill. If the system is original then wouldn't be a bad time to change at least the condenser. That seems to take a beating in most cases. I'm assuming the dryer is in the condenser.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Id change the orifice tube. I believe rangers or fords of these years have orifice tubes. Its a cheap part and if its never been changed its not a bad thing along with a flush. If you pull it out and its got a lot of crud on it, you should really flush the Ac system.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I'm guessing the system is original. I think the dryer is in the accumulator, at least they call it an accumulator/dryer in the manual. One of the guides I saw mentioned that any time the system is opened the dryer gets saturated with moisture and must be replaced. I'm not sure removal of the valve constitutes opening in their eyes. In my Ford manual it says that any time it's opened for longer than a "minor repair" it will need to be replaced. I'm going to start with the service valve and see how that goes. Now to find my gauge set in the boxes of crap I still haven't unpacked after moving...

MISWFL

Reaction score
Depends how long it's been open, which I doubt has been too long and that much could get past a failed Schrader valve. My big concern would be finding a good quality A/C Schrader valve and doing a good evacuation job with a strong vacuum pump. I'd replace both valves.

txsleds

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70R15

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I looked at the service port yesterday and the high side looks like it has a ball in it, not the Schrader valve stem I expected to see. There was about 30psi in the system, and I tried poking it a bit to see if it would reseat but no joy. A soap test shows it's definitely leaking there. It was evening and the mosquito swarms were getting started so I didn't spend a lot of time with it last night. I've ordered one of the dye injectors to track down any other leaks before I take it in to have the refrigerant reclaimed.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I've got a question. I went to pick up some UV dye at the local auto parts store and they only had oil/dye mix. I remember tiny bottles from my days working at Firestone of what I assumed were just pure dye. My truck calls for PAG46 oil, which they had. Is that going to work? I don't believe I've leaked an appreciable amount of oil. I've never really messed with air conditioning before so I don't want to unwittingly screw something up.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Got everything working again. I ended up leaving the dye out. I figured holding vacuum means it isn’t leaking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals