• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Compressor clutch appears to be stuck. Accessory belt squeals and smokes over stuck pulley. 1993 3.0

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So where to start on fixing this? I don't have much if any experience in working on an A/C system. In 44 years of driving I've never had a failure. I bought my '93 beater last year. A/C didn't work. Tried to recharge. The compressor ran for a few minutes and froze up. I plan to drive it during crappy snowy days and will need the defroster to work well. Any ideas on where to start?

thanks!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The pulley should only be connected to the compressor when power and ground are are on the electrical coil in the pulley. If you unplug the 2-pin connecter from the clutch (eliminating any electrical problem), the pulley should freewheel, even if the compressor is locked up solid. If the pulley still doesn't freewheel, and the belt still smokes when the engine's running, you've got a locked up compressor AND a locked up pully clutch.

If the compressor did get pooched, you can:
A) Look at getting a shorter belt and eliminating the compressor (thus the AC completely); or
B) Replace the compressor, pulley and clutch, accumulator/drier, orifice tube (the bare minimum parts needed; if a hose has a muffler, replace it too), thoroughly flush everything else, recharge with refrigerant and oil, and pray.

Usually, with that kind of failure, on that old of a truck, ALL of the AC parts should be replaced. It depends, on what you want to spend on the truck, to get the AC back. Replacing just the minimum parts is always a gamble, unfortunately.

Another bummer in the equation, is that a '93 was originally an R-12 system, unless it was converted at some point.

Sorry, it doesn't sound like a cheap or simple fix.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
WHOOPS! Forgot about the cheapest, easiest "fix"- just put a working pulley and clutch (even used) on the locked up compressor, and don't even plug the harness back in. Can drive the truck, but with a broken AC.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take compressor off, put on shorter belt for non ac version.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pulley should only be connected to the compressor when power and ground are are on the electrical coil in the pulley. If you unplug the 2-pin connecter from the clutch (eliminating any electrical problem), the pulley should freewheel, even if the compressor is locked up solid. If the pulley still doesn't freewheel, and the belt still smokes when the engine's running, you've got a locked up compressor AND a locked up pully clutch.

If the compressor did get pooched, you can:
A) Look at getting a shorter belt and eliminating the compressor (thus the AC completely); or
B) Replace the compressor, pulley and clutch, accumulator/drier, orifice tube (the bare minimum parts needed; if a hose has a muffler, replace it too), thoroughly flush everything else, recharge with refrigerant and oil, and pray.

Usually, with that kind of failure, on that old of a truck, ALL of the AC parts should be replaced. It depends, on what you want to spend on the truck, to get the AC back. Replacing just the minimum parts is always a gamble, unfortunately.

Another bummer in the equation, is that a '93 was originally an R-12 system, unless it was converted at some point.

Sorry, it doesn't sound like a cheap or simple fix.
While I most likely will remove the compressor and run a shorter belt. Let's look what I found out. With the electrical plug in the compressor and a/c turned on. The pulley locks and the belt is a squealing. Pull the plug, turn a/c on or off and the pulley turns. No squealing.

Thanks,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals