• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C Clutch Relay Jumper

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On my '05, 3.0L I want to jumper the a/c relay (46a) to see if it engages the clutch. The relay diagram shows it uses terminals 1, 2, 3, and 5. Which two of these are jumpered and how are the relay slots numbered? Thank you for your help.
Fred

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Jump 3 to 5. I would check for voltage on 3 to make sure fuse 25 is still good.

Not sure how the numbers relate to the relay socket, but if you use a testlight, with the key off, only one terminal will have power (if the fuse is good) and that will be terminal 3.

If you take a meter and put it on ohms rx1, unplug the connector at the clutch, and put one meter lead on the grey/white wire. Take the other meter lead and probe each remaining terminal in the relay socket. You should already know which is terminal 3. When you get a near zero reading, that will be terminal 5.

So since you have power on terminal 3 at all times, and terminal 5 goes directly to the clutch, you can jump these two you found and it should engage.

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks, franklin2, I'll get at this tomorrow and see how it turns out. I had the cylinder heads replaced a few years ago and the a/c started to take longer and longer to get cold since then. I think the system might have been compromised during the heads exchange.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The most common failure is a slow leak in the system. Turn the A/C on with the truck running and then pull the low pressure switch connector out and jump the terminals. If it runs, you are probably low on refrigerant. Some leaks are very slow and a quick recharge with a can from Walmart will last a couple of years. Some leaks are a little larger, I have had them were 1 can would last through the summer, so I would have to add a can every year. And then some leaks are severe, and it won't last but a couple of days.

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks again, franklin2. I will check this all out and look for the leak. Also, if the clutch engages with this jumper can I recharge the system in this manner?

Last edited:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again, franklin2. I will check this all out and look for the leak. Also, if the clutch engages with this jumper can I recharge the system in this manner?
Yes. You can hook the can up and let the refrigerant into the system as much as it will go, and then you can jump the switch and the compressor will suck the rest of it in. If you want to speed up the process, once you get the compressor going you can turn the can upside down for a instant, and then turn it back upright so the hose is on top. You can do this again and again, I would not hold the can upside down for a long time though. You are letting liquid refrigerant into the system with the can upside down, but you don't want too much liquid in it, it may make its way to the compressor and lock it up. The compressor can only handle gas. But short bursts of liquid will speed the filling process.

Once you get half the can in there, the compressor might run by itself without the jumper. On most Fords the low pressure switch also controls the cooling. I am not sure where you live, but if it's cool weather, the low pressure switch may cycle the compressor clutch, even though it's full. It's best to fill the system when it's at least in the high 70's. You want lots of warm air going over the coil, that will keep the pressure high on the low side, and the pressure switch will not cycle the clutch if there is plenty of refrigerant in it.

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes. You can hook the can up and let the refrigerant into the system as much as it will go, and then you can jump the switch and the compressor will suck the rest of it in. If you want to speed up the process, once you get the compressor going you can turn the can upside down for a instant, and then turn it back upright so the hose is on top. You can do this again and again, I would not hold the can upside down for a long time though. You are letting liquid refrigerant into the system with the can upside down, but you don't want too much liquid in it, it may make its way to the compressor and lock it up. The compressor can only handle gas. But short bursts of liquid will speed the filling process.

Once you get half the can in there, the compressor might run by itself without the jumper. On most Fords the low pressure switch also controls the cooling. I am not sure where you live, but if it's cool weather, the low pressure switch may cycle the compressor clutch, even though it's full. It's best to fill the system when it's at least in the high 70's. You want lots of warm air going over the coil, that will keep the pressure high on the low side, and the pressure switch will not cycle the clutch if there is plenty of refrigerant in it.
Alright. This weekend I will get at this if the weather is warm and sunny as it has been this week in the L.A. area.
Thank you, franklin2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals