• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A bit out of sync...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
With the new technology...

A friend asked me to find her a used computer system...she has a 2.66 celeron processor with 1.5 gigs or ram that can only be upgraded to 2 gigs.

I saw a few systems similar to mine (Dell GX series) and saw that they have only a 2.0 gig processor but it is dual core (so I'd imagine it is faster than what she has) and it comes with 2.0 gigs of ram. Problem is it also comes with Windows 7 that I'm not familiar with.

Would the newer system be bogged down by 7 or could it handle it as a base. The friend only does surfing and e-mail.

I know I can upgrade the RAM to 4 gigs on my system but, silly me, I didn't get the series number (think it was actually lower than mine)...something like GX360...

This is a fairly novice user who does OK on XP...don't want to shock her too much with all these changes...lol

Anyway...any input on Windows 7 ram useage and what to expect would be appreciated...I could research it I'm sure but I'd rather hear from real live experienced users as opposed to some bot posts proclaiming the beauty of 7...blah...blah...blah

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Win 7 will actually run faster than XP if you have the available RAM. With 2GB, the machine would run just fine on Win 7. :icon_thumby:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Yeah what ^^he said. Win 7 is the way to go. Microsoft is also discontinueing support for XP next year as it has been out for going on 12 years now.

7 is a little bit different tha xp in looks and feel but is not hard to get used to at all

AJ

Sent from the Galaxy to the interwebs

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thank you for the input. I've actually used and troubleshot Win7 systems years ago but only for e-mail and internet connections...didn't really pay much attention to it other than a few dozen calls.

I might check with the vendor again about the model number to see if the RAM can be upgraded just in case she manages to overload it like her last one...:icon_thumby:

KnivesChau

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For an internet user a pc with celeron processor with 1.5gb ram running on XP is more than enough. But if you are going for the dual core machine, install XP on it then you don't have to upgrade the ram.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think the biggest problem was the free AV program I installed is a RAM hog...I suggested buying a new AV program or upgrading to 7...it's actually still not resolved at this point...almost 4 months later...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
No need to buy any AV program. Just use Security Essentials. It's free from Microsoft. Works well enough, and is very un-intrusive.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I've heard it was good (enough) so I might try to persuade the owner to upgrade the OS...but there is a learning curve that has to be considered...and I think if she just went with a slightly faster computer it would be more than enough...

One of the limiting factors is a tax program being used...or at least the files that we have backed up in several places...so I'm tempted to simply have her keep the old computer for that purpose alone...and buy another one to play on the internet with...

A lawyer that I dealt with briefly has everything on an old archaic computer that he bought when it first came out...for about $6,000...that runs an old version of DOS...when I saw it I thought "gee, this guy is making a ton of money...why not upgrade?"...until he told me that all his legal forms are in templates that only this machine can run and he had about ten years of case files and legal wrangling stored on it that he simply could not convert to a newer format...

Can't remember the name of the computer but it was still working the last time I saw him...oh, and he got disbarred over some shady practices...after he screwed me out of $1,000...I suppose the computer is evidence now...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals