• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 XLT rear axle offset after accident?

vetterdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK, so I almost got t-boned last week, guy decided to do a uturn without lookiong and hit my pass side rear wheel, right into the rim. Rim is a little scuffed and he blew out my 4 month old Cooper A3 tire. Just picked up the truck from the tow yard and looking at it, it looks like the rear axle has been pushed toward the drivers' side about 1'-2". Is it possible foir the whole rear to have been shoved over like that? I can't see anything at the leaf spring mounting or anywhere that looks amiss, just looking from the back the DS wheel sticks out a little further. I am concerned because I recently did some frame repair (which held up fine) and I don't want the insurance co to total the truck out. Plus I haven't been able to drive it much to see if the ride is F'ed. Been driving an Infinity all week so everything feels rough and slow now! Anyone else have this happen? Or know how to fix it??
Thx DFV

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Besides the obvious bent frame it could have bent the axle itself, or sheared the spring alignment pin.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Been driving an Infinity all week so everything feels rough and slow now! Anyone else have this happen? Or know how to fix it??
The way to fix it is to keep driving the Infinty. ;missingteeth; This happened to me too. A friend loaned me his G35 for a few weeks and driving my DD has been a total drag ever since.

vetterdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got under there and it looks like the leaf springs are bent. Truck seems to roll ok so maybe I'll get lucky and the axle is ok. I know Geico will consider my truck a lot less valuable than I do.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
InsuranceCo's are very likely to total out any 20yo+ vehicle for even the smallest damage claim.

vetterdog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Update for anyone interested; Insurance isnt totalling it because it was 100% the other guy's fault, but he has minimum liability- $5000, which will cover repairs. Entire rear diff is being replaced, leaf springs are OK but hangers bent. Having shock mount on PS replaced, brake lines, emerg brake cables, new rear right tire. All brake parts on replacement axle are new and replacement rear is heavy duty so an upgrade. Once truck is repaired I have to call Geico to try to get them to reimburse me for towing and storage, plus the new tire, which is money I laid out. They may try to screw me because they insisted I take it to a body shop for the estimate (even though I told them repeatedly that the damage was suspension and drive train) and they paid out for the body work estimate. They may want receipts for the body work, (which is very minor and I wasn't going to bother with) before shelling out the rest. What fun! It's been a month since this happened. Hope to have truck back this week, will be an adjustment after a month driving the I30!
Thank for all who chimed in!
DV

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals