• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99' XLT Extended Cab

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone! This is somewhat of a introduction/conversion thread in which I'll document my progress. This is my 2nd engine swap in anything, and I'm excited and a lil nervous, but here goes.

I've been in the market for a small truck to tow a small trailer and haul my motorcycle. This ranger fell in my lap for $700. My plans are to

1)Swap it
2)Lift it
3)Send it

My current plan is as follows:
Build a 5.0 out of a 97 - 01 Xploder (99+ being the better fit)
For this I'll need a oil filter relocation kit (anyone have any known to work?)
A tuner to remove Auto Trans stuff
Torque Monsters Headers (yikes $$)
I'll replace the rad with an aluminum one from Jegs as well as SPAL electric fans (I've had good experience with these in my time in with Jeeps)
Get a rebuild kit for the engine, and port/polish the head and get a new cam, rocker rollers, springs/lifters and a cam. As well as hardened pushrods (I'm not sure if this will get me to 300hp, but I would prefer to have more TQ than top end HP for obvious reasons)
Obtain an M5ODR-2 from an F150 along with a BW1356 <- I will then have to notch the frame rails.
Remove the 8.8 from the Xploder and prepare it for the ranger
Install manual hubs (I *believe* the ranger has the automatic ones, I don't have it in my posession yet)
Install a rough country lift kit, which will need 17" wheels and 2003 Sport Trac Rotors. As far as I know, the new knuckle is ready to accept the rotor without needing a bracket.
Install SS lines for clutch and brakes (I come from the Honda/tuner world)

Once this is all done and the truck runs and drive fine, I'll go about with some other cosmetic and more fun things which I can talk about later.

Anyone see any issues with my plans or anything I should keep in mind? I *have* searched a ton, but it's never a bad idea to ask.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Advance adapters sells a Perma Cool oil filter relocation kit with hose outlets parallel to the filter base instead of sticking straight out like most do for $95, I bought the same one from Summit for about $30 less. A 99 is apt to have pulse vacuum hubs, you're wise to get rid of them.

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Advance adapters sells a Perma Cool oil filter relocation kit with hose outlets parallel to the filter base instead of sticking straight out like most do for $95, I bought the same one from Summit for about $30 less. A 99 is apt to have pulse vacuum hubs, you're wise to get rid of them.
I'll definitely look into that! I want to use the Rough Country lift and I have to remove them anyway for that, so it'll just make everything more simple. Would you happen to know if a Ford NP205 would fit between the frame rails? I *believe* it would, and from what I understand, I would only need to cut a hole for the manual shifter (and change the radio bezel to one from a 2x4 because I'm obsessive)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Not sure if a NP205 will fit, someone on here probably knows. Replacing the bezel to get rid of the 4x4 switch hole isn't obsessive, it's doing a good job.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Comments:

You don't "need" a filter relocation kit, the Explorer comes with 90* adapter that allows filter to fit. You might "want" the relocation kit..

How extravagant were you planning to get with rebuild?? If you get new pistons and bump compression a couple points, along with cam/porting, 300hp isn't that difficult without losing bottom end torque.

Explorer would provide you with full time front axle - better than manual hubs IMNSHO. I also provide usable rad/fan combination to at least get you running. Fancier rad/electric fans can swapped after everything works.

BW 4406 transfer case fits without notching. Manual shift versions exist; avoid the TOD version. NP 205 just seems like lot of weight for little advantage.
If you were going SAS with Dana 60s, etc, then I could see the chain transfer case being weak link, but that doesn't sound like your plan.​

Isn't clutch line already SS hardline? No point in changing.

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the filter info. I didn't realize the explorers came with one.

Not too extravagant, but if the engine's out, what's a few grand to make it put a smile on my face? How high of a compression are we talking?

Pulling the front axle seems like a no brainer at this point. Anything I should keep in mind while doing so?

Thanks for the transfer case info!

I'm not 100% on the line to the slave.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals