99' XLT Extended Cab

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone! This is somewhat of a introduction/conversion thread in which I'll document my progress. This is my 2nd engine swap in anything, and I'm excited and a lil nervous, but here goes.

I've been in the market for a small truck to tow a small trailer and haul my motorcycle. This ranger fell in my lap for $700. My plans are to

1)Swap it
2)Lift it
3)Send it

My current plan is as follows:
Build a 5.0 out of a 97 - 01 Xploder (99+ being the better fit)
For this I'll need a oil filter relocation kit (anyone have any known to work?)
A tuner to remove Auto Trans stuff
Torque Monsters Headers (yikes $$)
I'll replace the rad with an aluminum one from Jegs as well as SPAL electric fans (I've had good experience with these in my time in with Jeeps)
Get a rebuild kit for the engine, and port/polish the head and get a new cam, rocker rollers, springs/lifters and a cam. As well as hardened pushrods (I'm not sure if this will get me to 300hp, but I would prefer to have more TQ than top end HP for obvious reasons)
Obtain an M5ODR-2 from an F150 along with a BW1356 <- I will then have to notch the frame rails.
Remove the 8.8 from the Xploder and prepare it for the ranger
Install manual hubs (I *believe* the ranger has the automatic ones, I don't have it in my posession yet)
Install a rough country lift kit, which will need 17" wheels and 2003 Sport Trac Rotors. As far as I know, the new knuckle is ready to accept the rotor without needing a bracket.
Install SS lines for clutch and brakes (I come from the Honda/tuner world)

Once this is all done and the truck runs and drive fine, I'll go about with some other cosmetic and more fun things which I can talk about later.

Anyone see any issues with my plans or anything I should keep in mind? I *have* searched a ton, but it's never a bad idea to ask.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Advance adapters sells a Perma Cool oil filter relocation kit with hose outlets parallel to the filter base instead of sticking straight out like most do for $95, I bought the same one from Summit for about $30 less. A 99 is apt to have pulse vacuum hubs, you're wise to get rid of them.

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Advance adapters sells a Perma Cool oil filter relocation kit with hose outlets parallel to the filter base instead of sticking straight out like most do for $95, I bought the same one from Summit for about $30 less. A 99 is apt to have pulse vacuum hubs, you're wise to get rid of them.
I'll definitely look into that! I want to use the Rough Country lift and I have to remove them anyway for that, so it'll just make everything more simple. Would you happen to know if a Ford NP205 would fit between the frame rails? I *believe* it would, and from what I understand, I would only need to cut a hole for the manual shifter (and change the radio bezel to one from a 2x4 because I'm obsessive)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Not sure if a NP205 will fit, someone on here probably knows. Replacing the bezel to get rid of the 4x4 switch hole isn't obsessive, it's doing a good job.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Comments:

You don't "need" a filter relocation kit, the Explorer comes with 90* adapter that allows filter to fit. You might "want" the relocation kit..

How extravagant were you planning to get with rebuild?? If you get new pistons and bump compression a couple points, along with cam/porting, 300hp isn't that difficult without losing bottom end torque.

Explorer would provide you with full time front axle - better than manual hubs IMNSHO. I also provide usable rad/fan combination to at least get you running. Fancier rad/electric fans can swapped after everything works.

BW 4406 transfer case fits without notching. Manual shift versions exist; avoid the TOD version. NP 205 just seems like lot of weight for little advantage.
If you were going SAS with Dana 60s, etc, then I could see the chain transfer case being weak link, but that doesn't sound like your plan.​

Isn't clutch line already SS hardline? No point in changing.

EManU3LXX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the filter info. I didn't realize the explorers came with one.

Not too extravagant, but if the engine's out, what's a few grand to make it put a smile on my face? How high of a compression are we talking?

Pulling the front axle seems like a no brainer at this point. Anything I should keep in mind while doing so?

Thanks for the transfer case info!

I'm not 100% on the line to the slave.