• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 Vulcan 3.0 Mass Airflow symptoms and fix

CharlieB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
First, let me say I was a regular on TheRangerStation forums about 20 years ago! That's right. I bought a 99 Ranger in 2001, and was regular here for a while.

The truck had 46,000 on the clock, and its up to 305,000 now.

I thought I'd share a bit of a strange issue that totally threw me for a loop, in hopes it can help someone else.

Keep in mind NO codes were given by the ECM, no check engine light until the very end.

About a year ago, I notice my engine would give one hiccup, if I really gunned it in 3rd gear. Only 3rd gear, and only if I was, say, speeding up on an on-ramp or similar. I've got a 5 speed manual in the truck.

This bothered me, but not a whole lot, and I chalked it up to perhaps injector filth.

About six months ago, after a heavy rain, the engine really sputtered after starting, and basically ran like crap until it got up to temperature. I could tell by the symptom it was starved for fuel, and figured I had some water somehow enter the fuel system. I added some Iso-HEET and in two days the problem cleared up. Oh well, right?

Well, about a month ago, the same symptom, once up to temperature, it was much better, but..... not completely resolved. I thought injectors, so tried my ol' favs of SeaFoam, Techron, and Lucas. Also ran some fuel out of the tank to see if it was contaminated (did that while changing the fuel filter). Nothing unusual, not even sediment. Filter was real clean when I disassembled it (a pain in the butt).

This went one for a bit, so I changed the PVC valve, because its cheap, and because I've had drivability issues from bad PVC vales in the past. No change. Tried a new DPFE, as I changed the first (aluminum body) one at 50,000miles or so, and figured what the heck, this one's been there forever. Two things on the DPFE. Glad I changed it, as the plastic just crumbled when I took the hoses off, and the electronics in it were pristine yet. No corrosion, no nuthin, as could be seen through the clear "gel" used under the back cover of the sensor. Changed the throttle position sensor, thinking dead spots in its travel. That was a pain due to corroded fasteners, but it got done and no improvement.

More time went by and we had another heavy rain, and the truck ran great again. Now I got thinking.... what part is subject to rain/moisture/humidity that would cause fuel starvation. Gotta be the mass airflow sensor. And I planned on buying one online for about $40. As luck would have it, the sensor totally died on my way to work last week. Engine would run above 3000rpm only. Under that, no-go. Starting took five to seven attempts with the pedal floored. But I made it to work, and that was that. Just as I pulled into the lot, the check engine light came on (finally!). P0103 and no other codes. That pretty much confirms the mass airflow sensor. If other codes had also been there, it could have been vacuum, or wiring or some other issue.

Ran to NAPA (in my work truck), got a MAF sensor, for $80 (ugh) and put it in. Turned the key and the ol' 3.0 started up and purred like a kitten. For the past few days I've been trying to get it to fail. I cannot, so I'm gonna say its all done.

That was weird for me. I'm used to engine issues (I'm nearing 70years old), and what they "feel like" when driving. This was definitely starved for fuel feeling, but no engine codes.

Hope that helps!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Welcome back CharlieB...

I just moved your post to the 3.0L forum

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals