• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger with 98 Explorer 5.0 Swap No Speedo/Abs light on

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found an old 4WABS diagram, quite different that the 1999 diagram

Attachments

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This one is the closest to the harness I have. Only differences are pin 5 is blank, pin 21 has a pink/red and pin 25 has a large yellow/green.

On the 98 Rabs the diagram shows a module.... I would like to find this.

Found an old 4WABS diagram, quite different that the 1999 diagram

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford moved around RABS module, I have seen it on firewall in cab above gas pedal and also above glove box
In 1999 above glove box would be best guess, the PATS module is also located there

Not sure if passenger side had an airbag in 1999, if so be sure to unhook battery and then WAIT 10min for its capacitors to drain

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Upon further inspection it looks like they did a full wiring swap from the 98 explorer. The GEM number comes back to a 98 explorer.

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If thats the case am I stuck with swapping to 4wabs? I dont see a way around that without a dash and engine bay harness. I have the explorer 4wabs module... I would need the ranger brake lines, rotors, spindles?, and sensors l believe.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm curious - do you actually need the Explorer GEM? I'm running the Ranger unit in mine after the 5.0 swap.

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Idk but it looks like whomever did this swap just decided to switch everything over. I dont see a way of keeping a functioning Rabs with this wiring setup.

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I currently have an ABS light, airbag light and no speedo

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking through all the swap articles and they all seem to include 4WABS

I know mine has it, and I specifically pulled Explorer parts to ensure it worked at the end.

Air bags are really finnicky about being the correct GEM, airbag module - had to pay real money (couple hundred) to get replacement that had same part number right down to revision for BiL's truck when restoring it (previous owner used pintle hitch on 5 ton to stop)

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Idk but it looks like whomever did this swap just decided to switch everything over. I dont see a way of keeping a functioning Rabs with this wiring setup.
So your only hurdle to jump now is getting the 4wabs working? Do you have all the 98 4wabs stuff you need to complete it? You said something about brackets up front, I am assuming for the front ABS sensors? Will you need two rear abs sensors also or just the one that the truck had in the rearend? I am learning something here at your expense.

P.S. I just looked at the 1998 diagram above in Ron D's post and it looks like 3 sensors, two up front and one in the rear. Also in that diagram I see a data link connector connecting the ABS to the computer network. If that is the case, I don't see how you would get the other RABS to work in this system if the explorer network is looking for a certain 4wabs computer box and all it's getting is another type RABS box in the network.

Last edited:

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 4wabs module they left free hanging with the harness connected but nothing else. I'm not familiar with the Ranger ABS setups but I can only assume the spindle is different on the 4wabs to accommodate the sensors but maybe I'll get lucky and its the same.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want a working 4WABS system then you need the brake lines as well as the sensors

And does the 4WABS unit have 5 brake line hook ups?

If you just want a working speed system for now and then do RABS or 4WABS later then get one of these

Fairly easy to wire in, Key on 12v power(and ground), 2 wires from rear axle sensor, 1 wire out to the grey/black wires(they should all be spliced together already)

Very common to use one of these on a V8 swap into a 1998-2000 Ranger
It can do what the Ranger GEM did, convert the 20,000ppm(rear axle) signal to 8,000ppm signal and send that out to speedo, computer and cruise

Its also adjustable for tire size and fine tuned speed, Fords are +/- 4mph calibration at 65mph, just FYI

ABS light can be disabled by removing the bulbs ground wire at the current 4WABS unit
In the 1998 4WABS diagram the pin16 dark green wire is what grounds the ABS bulb when module want to light it up, no ground and no light

EDIT
Actually just unplug the 4WABS unit and pull it out

Last edited:

Mvanaxen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Speedo fixed... Fuses.... I'm an idiot. Thanks for helping! Sorry I overlooked the simple answer and was looking for something more complex.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals