• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger transmission not pumping fluid

koths211

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger x3
Engine Size
2.9l,4.0,2.3,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 ranger with 4r44e auto transmission in it... this is the 4th transmission that has been put into it. none of the transmissions pumped fluid out the lines to the cooler. blew air thru lines and cooler to make sure they are not plugged. what else could this be??? any kind of solenoid? please help me. truck cannot sit in grandparents driveway any longer...thanks.Ryan.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you installing the transmissions yourself?

On all automatics you have the front pump, this is the main pump for trans fluid, it is turned by the torque converter.
When you put the torque converter into the bell housing and into the transmission you have to line up the torque converter and front pump, they have slots that need to be aligned.
You turn the torque converter slowly while applying a little pressure, you will feel it click into place, keep turning and applying pressure, some automatics will click in deeper 3 times.

When bolting the bell housing to engine block they should slide together flush, you should NEVER EVER have to force them flush by putting in bolts and tightening them.
If you did then you broke the front pump.

Once bell housing and engine are bolted together the torque converter should slide forward slightly to be bolted to flex plate, if its pushed against flex plate and will not turn easily then something is wrong.

Last edited:

koths211

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger x3
Engine Size
2.9l,4.0,2.3,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
REPLY. RonD

I did install it myself... and I did everything you listed.

torque converter was full...

in x3 clicks.

bell housing went right up to the block no issues.

pulled converter thru the flexplate to put the nuts on the studs

everything went together nice and easy.

im wondering if it could be a torque converter lockup solenoid or a

transmission pressure control solenoid

and are these hard to change?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals