• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger Tranny not going in to gear when cold

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all.

I've got a 99 Ranger 4.0L 4x4. From what I can tell, the transmission code on the build sheet on the door jamb is a 'D' which translates into a 5R55E.

There no service lights being illuminated on the dash.

Please correct me if I am wrong. However, I am not sure how I have a 5 speed when the shifter only shows 1-2-D-OD. Or does R count as one?

Vehicle has 125k. I bought it with 80k in 2006. I had the tranny serviced last Jan when it had 115k. This is where I feel I messed up by breaking the cardinal rule of old transmission: If it hadn't been serviced, don't.

Basically, when I first get in the truck in the morning and start it up, it goes into gear no problem. I have to back out of my driveway, about 20 yards. However, when I get out of the driveway and put it in D, I get nothing. I have to get the engine up to 2500 rpm or so before it will finally go into gear. At first, the vehicle would snap into gear. It seems to ease into gear more now.

Also, after the vehicle warms up, this problem goes away.

I went and talked with some knowledgeable folks that have done me right in the past. I described the problem to them. They immediately thought forward clutch and pump. I told them about the transmission service and how it started back then. They said it might be that the filter slipped down and is letting fluid by.

However, they all kind of pointed to thinking the pump was going out since it would work fine when it warmed up. They said that the seals will heat up and swell and seal.

What I am looking for are any ideas that might be able to point me in the wright direction. Does the above sound reasonable?

I don't want to spend a great deal of money fixing this thing as I am looking at getting a new truck in the summer.

One thought is if the thing needs a complete rebuild, that I can then go snag one from a boneyard and just swap the dang things out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Les

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I hear ya.. My A4LD is having shifting problems during the first 1-2 miles. Not sure if this applies to your transmission, but the governor in A4LD's have been known to stick and cause these symtoms.

Good luck.

Last edited:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all.

I've got a 99 Ranger 4.0L 4x4. From what I can tell, the transmission code on the build sheet on the door jamb is a 'D' which translates into a 5R55E.

There no service lights being illuminated on the dash.

Please correct me if I am wrong. However, I am not sure how I have a 5 speed when the shifter only shows 1-2-D-OD. Or does R count as one?
Yes, it's a 5-speed. Reverse doesn't count.
Vehicle has 125k. I bought it with 80k in 2006. I had the tranny serviced last Jan when it had 115k. This is where I feel I messed up by breaking the cardinal rule of old transmission: If it hadn't been serviced, don't.
That's a myth. Chaging the fluid was the best thing you could've done to it. Your problem is completely unrelated.

Basically, when I first get in the truck in the morning and start it up, it goes into gear no problem. I have to back out of my driveway, about 20 yards. However, when I get out of the driveway and put it in D, I get nothing. I have to get the engine up to 2500 rpm or so before it will finally go into gear. At first, the vehicle would snap into gear. It seems to ease into gear more now.

Also, after the vehicle warms up, this problem goes away.

I went and talked with some knowledgeable folks that have done me right in the past. I described the problem to them. They immediately thought forward clutch and pump. I told them about the transmission service and how it started back then. They said it might be that the filter slipped down and is letting fluid by.
I used to drive a Ranger at work that had a problem like this. I'm not positive what the problem was/is, as the owner was too cheap to get it fixed, and the truck still basically worked fine. It had the problem for over 50k miles and it NEVER got any worse. As far as I know, it's still going (with the same problem). I think if the problem were related to the pump or clutches, it would've already died a long time ago.

Anyway, these transmissions are well known for bad valve body gaskets and EPC solenoids. My guess is it's not applying enough pressure to shift into drive in a timely manner.

There's a TSB on delayed engagement for 99 Rangers: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/timnoll/2009-05-23_145337_tsb99-16-10.pdf

Last edited:

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Exbass:

Thanks for the reply.

Question: Would a bad valve body gasket and / or EPC solenoid cause the low pressure problem you describe?

Thanks

Les

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
the shift pattern for the 5r55e is 1- OD 2-3-OD ie it starts off in first shifts into OD while cruising unless the driver accelerates which turns it into a 3 speed until it cruises and catches OD again. i havent figured out why it goes into OD after second but maybe someone on TRS knows fords reasoning behind it

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Exbass:

Thanks for the reply.

Question: Would a bad valve body gasket and / or EPC solenoid cause the low pressure problem you describe?

Thanks

Les
I'm not sure, but since the EPC does control transmission pressure, I'd say it's likely. Valve body gaskets are the main cause of the 2-3 shift flare, where the transmission acts like its in netural for a second while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and causes rpms to jump up for a moment.

I'd say replacing the EPC solenoid would be worth a shot, but I'm not 100% it would fix the problem. It should be much cheaper than a rebuild.

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

Problem has been solved. Took the truck to a local Firestone dealer and we dropped the pan and the filter.

The filter had been previously installed with NO orings. It was missing BOTH on the tubes that go from the filter into the valve body.

This morning the truck shifted perfectly. We know there was wear on the transmission due to the silver in the bottom of the pan and what was stuck on the magnet.

We put a quart of Lucas Transmission Stop-slip in and finished with tranny fluid.

So far, everything seems good.

Problem solved.

Daringo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE:

So far, everything seems good.

Problem solved.
I am very jeolous! Nice solution. Curious, how much did they charge to do the fluid drain and filter change? I am getting sick of Mercon smell.:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals