• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger speed sensor?

dark_knight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Standard
Transmission
Automatic
I recently begin having shifting/speedometer issues with my 99 ford ranger..I replaced the speed sensor on the rear axle and for a while it seemed to do fine and then it ceased to work again, also..my windshield wipers will not work from time to time..is there anything i can do with the rear axle to get the speed sensor to operate all the time? thanks..

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station!

There is a connector under the driver seat that sometimes corrodes from water intrusion.

The VSS wires go through it.

Would also help if you filled out a signature with the details of your truck.
99 is not enough to go by in this case. 4wd will have 4WABS, which operates the speedo signal differently than a 2wd/RABS.

4WABS, the VSS signal is conditioned by the 4WABS Module, then sent to cluster, PCM, GEM and Cruise.

RABS, the VSS signal is sent to the GEM, conditioned and sent to cluster, PCM and Cruise.

The only thing common with wipers and VSS is the GEM, RABS only.
4WABS has a VSS input to the GEM labelled speed dependant wipers, which I believe is the mechanism that cancels Cruise when wipers are on (High?).

There is also a tone ring on the large gear inside the axle pumpkin. If that ring is broken, you won't have a VSS signal. You might also reinstall the newer VSS, since it is depth sensitive. If the gap is too large, no signal results.

While it's out, look for damage as if the tone ring had hit it. Might also ohm it out. It should be 1400 ohms. While you have the VOM out, install the VSS, jack one side up and spin that wheel. Using the mV scale, see how well it pulses. Investigate the wiring if all that checks out.

dark_knight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Standard
Transmission
Automatic
99 ranger

my 99 ranger is 2wd with the flex engine..sorry i spaced off on that detail..since it is the flex it only has one speed sensor on the rear axle and not one on the transmission

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals