• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger No Speedo, internal lights, wipers, or windows.

99DangerRanger

Canadian Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Help needed.

I am in need of some advice, my 1999 Ranger 4.0l RWD Manual has been having year long intermittent electrical issues. Electrical is far from my realm of expertise. Frequently my truck will start with no cab lights, speedo, wipers, or electric windows and after a while it may or may not come back on. (All other gauges work, just speedo fails) While running with power loss the truck idles like trash, misfires on downshifts and doesn't regulate fuel mix. I can hear what I believe is the ecm relay turn on and off under the glove box. I can't seem to solve the problem.

What I've changed, swapped, inspected:
- Rear diff VSS (receives voltage fine)
- Engine to firewall grounding strap (continuity is good)
- Fuses (some seem old and possibly incorrect amps, might replace all)
- Wiper and window relays
- Battery & terminals
- Battery negative to ground.
- New ecm relay.
- I've inspected the GEM, seems to be getting power and works as soon as ECM clicks.

It's a little cold tonight but I'll run a multimeter on the ecm tomorrow and verify if it's recieving voltage but I doubt it. Anyone have an idea of where the loss is happening and why it's intermittent? It's gotten bad enough recently that it hasn't worked in days with a brand new relay.

Last edited:

99DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also I have to drive from Toronto to Calgary in a month for work. Please help lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What you are describing sounds like the battery saver relay, not the ECM relay... the battery saver circuit is on a timer that counts down when you turn the ignition off and before you open the door. This is a pretty common issue on other (newer) Ford vehicles and is more complex on those because it's built into the instrument cluster. For example when it died in my F250, the gauges, power windows and radio would not work.

I would be checking for corroded grounds throughout the cab and the wiring to your GEM module, make sure your door switches are in good shape too.

99DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What you are describing sounds like the battery saver relay, not the ECM relay... the battery saver circuit is on a timer that counts down when you turn the ignition off and before you open the door. This is a pretty common issue on other (newer) Ford vehicles and is more complex on those because it's built into the instrument cluster. For example when it died in my F250, the gauges, power windows and radio would not work.

I would be checking for corroded grounds throughout the cab and the wiring to your GEM module, make sure your door switches are in good shape too.
Awesome, thanks so much! I'll take a look and let you know how it goes!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals