• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger multiple issues

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I am looking for some input on this 99 ranger that I'm looking to buy, Issue #1- soft brake pedal, #2 speedo only works between 20-50 mph, lower or higher it doesn't work, #3- ABS light on over 70 mph, under it's off.

The owner has replaced the rear brakes, wheel cylinders and lines, Sensor in rear diff. He has front rotors,pads and calipers to go with the deal. His repairs have not affected any of the problems listed above.

The truck seems to drive fine except for the brake pedal. It stops but you need plenty of room. I think all three issues are related but I'm not sure. He has owned the truck for less than a year and I think he has been chasing these issues from the start but he didn't say that, of course he is trying to sell it so he isn't going to be entirely truthful. The truck has the 3.0 and is a 5 spd. I told him that I would get back with him in a couple of days.

Thanks for any help.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like he didn't get the brakes bled properly. That would explain the soft pedal. If he got an air bubble down into the ABS valve module, it might explain more issues. For the other items, I would make sure the ABS sensor cables and VSS (speed sensor) wires are all connected properly. You could check the gear on the VSS and make sure it's teeth look ok. Someone else will chime in with more help. I'm more familiar with the older trucks.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Sounds like he didn't get the brakes bled properly. That would explain the soft pedal. If he got an air bubble down into the ABS valve module, it might explain more issues. For the other items, I would make sure the ABS sensor cables and VSS (speed sensor) wires are all connected properly. You could check the gear on the VSS and make sure it's teeth look ok. Someone else will chime in with more help. I'm more familiar with the older trucks.
That is initially what I think is wrong with the brakes. The owner said he checked wire/connections at VSSand replaced it and said everything looked good. He said a mechanic buddy did the rears and was bled properly. His next step was to replace the front calipers. He thinks they are bad but didn't have a real good reason as to why. The speedo issue is new to me. It didn't register any speed until faster than 20 mph anything under it just fell down to 0 mph. It is weird that above 50 mph it works but than the abs light comes on at 70 mph but goes out under that. I'm on the fence about buying the truck. I don't want to inherit weird problems with no easy fix.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Never assume someone did their job correctly. If a mechanic did the brakes and did them correctly there would be no issue lol.

Only 3 reasons for a soft pedal
#1 a leak (you'd see fluid somewhere)
#2 a bad master cylinder
#3 air in the system.

I'm betting on air in the system. Bleed the brakes better.

The vss sensor is used for the rear ABS system so the speedo and abs light are almost certainly connected. If you didn't use a motor craft sensor then there's a fairly decent chance the new sensor is just bad. Never skimp on electronic parts. Have him replace the sensor and see what happens.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does the pedal sink to floor if applied for period of time, or is it just "soft"? Dirtmans 1 & 2 are sinking pedal; 3 is soft; and I will add a 4th.

#4: A line, i.e. rubber ones from body to caliper/axle, that is starting to fail, will "balloon" - which will result in "soft" pedal, but will hold position.

Issues #2 & 3 sound like issue with rear axle speed sensor - whether it is sensor or wiring needs to be trouble shot.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Does the pedal sink to floor if applied for period of time, or is it just "soft"? Dirtmans 1 & 2 are sinking pedal; 3 is soft; and I will add a 4th.

#4: A line, i.e. rubber ones from body to caliper/axle, that is starting to fail, will "balloon" - which will result in "soft" pedal, but will hold position.

Issues #2 & 3 sound like issue with rear axle speed sensor - whether it is sensor or wiring needs to be trouble shot.
It seemed to be just soft but also pretty low. I only drove it around a mall parking lot. When I said I wanted to drive it he jumped behind wheel to drive and I said " No, I am going to drive." He was like "oh,ok" First thing I noticed was the soft low brake pedal.

I guess my question is "Would you buy this truck with these problems?" I think I know what I'm going to do but am on the fence, if that makes sense.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If I needed the truck and the price is right in light of those issues, I might buy it. But it really depends on the whole situation. From what you've told us, it sounds like it would be drivable with a good afternoon of TLC.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Depends on the price... Personally I would have no problem buying a truck with brake issues if the rest of the truck was in good shape but I would offer substantially less. Even if the problem turns out to be minor, your buying that problem and its your time and money spent fixing it so the price you offer for the truck should reflect that. If he thinks he's still gonna get top dollar for a broken truck then walk away. Also depends on your mechanical abilities. If your not confident you can fix it then again, walk away, its not the truck for you.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I would like to buy something before winter but there are other trucks available but like anything who knows what's wrong with anything else until you see it in person. He was asking $2200 but he will take $1800. The rear spring hangers are shot too as well as the front bumper which will need replacing.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Rotten spring hangers, bad bumper, unkown brake issue, unknown vss issue... how many miles are on it?

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I have the mechanical ability to do the work but I have not run across the weird speedo,abs light issue before. I wanted to run the info here because of the wealth of knowledge that is on this forum.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Rotten spring hangers, bad bumper, unkown brake issue, unknown vss issue... how many miles are on it?
120,000 showing

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I would like to buy something before winter but there are other trucks available but like anything who knows what's wrong with anything else until you see it in person. He was asking $2200 but he will take $1800. The rear spring hangers are shot too as well as the front bumper which will need replacing.
Too rich for my blood. But I don't know your market. Down here in the south, I wouldn't give more than $250 for what you just revealed. But this is a different market.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I was gonna say a grand max if it still runs and drives good otherwise...

You southern folks are just spoiled!!!

either way 1800 is way too much for a truck like that. Move on.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Most trucks here are between 1500-2500 with high miles and decent amount of rust. I looked at one that the frame had a huge crack listed for $1500. I pointed out the frame crack and the seller said " that's really not a big deal" I walked away and he posted the truck sold 2 days later. I haven't come across much good. I kick myself for selling my 97 a year ago because I thought I didn't need a truck anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals