• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger 2wd 5 speed clutch noises

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everone, I have two irritating noises in my clutch system and need help figuring out what is is so I can fix it. I am new to forums, and any bit of help is greatly appreciated

1-when starting from first and sometimes second gear (especially when cold) and riding the clutch just a little too much, a loud squeal is heard, only for a split second. As long as i launch slow and keep the rpms down it does not happen. The sound is coming from what seems to be the bell housing. I cant figure out what it is despite hours of research and consulting with local shops.

2-wether the truck is running or not, when the clutch pedal is pressed or released, there is a low pitched squeak somewhere in the system. I do not think it is linkage and the noise is loud enough to be heard from quite a distance. I am far more concerned about the first problem, but like I said, any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

The truck has fairly low kms (100,000) and the clutch itself is still good (or is it?)

Please ask questions if need be, I will supply as much info as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it leak fluid? Possible that there is fluid on the clutch disk? Sounds like you've been starting it in second a lot? If so maybe the flywheel is glazed. this would coincide with a leak but possibly the slave cylinder is squeking.

Push the pedal in slowly about how far down does it happen?

What are your fluid levels?

kburley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
It does not leak fluid, although there may be fluid on the clutch. The only thing is that I do not feel the clutch slip at all when this happens. As far as starting in second goes, I always start in first (the noise would be exponentially worse were I to start in second) and I was referring to shifting from 1-2 while on the move. This squeal usually only happens when launching (from first ) if i ride the clutch too much (1500<rpm) but when the vehicle is cold, if I miss-time my throttle input while releasing the clutch, the noise is heard to the same degree as when launching (again, clutch is being ridden)

as for the slave cylinder squeak- it is essentially throughout the whole of the clutch pedal travel. i am more concerned about the squeal while releasing though, as it is more severe than the latter. it seems to me like there is a bearing that is squealing while under a certain amount of pressure, or potentially the clutch/flywheel making the noise when under a certain amount of pressure, and mind you that the noise never occurs when the clutch is fully released (perhaps at a certain pressure the clutch is not fully engaged and it is slipping, which causes the noise? im not sure, that is why i need your opinions)
again, any imput you may be able to give me will be greatly appreciated

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your clutch is probably fine. From what you described it sounds like your throw out bearing is going out. You have to remove the transmission to replace it and while you are there you may as well replace the clutch and slave cylinder too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals