• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Ranger 2.5 Fuel Pressure Specs

gmcelroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have the fuel pressure specs / procedure for a 1999 Ranger 2.5??

felgar_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.5 and 3.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2" on the 2000
Total Drop
6" on the 99
Tire Size
255/45r18
My credo
drive like you stole it
60 to 65 psi they will run on anything above 45 psi but will be low on power. what procedure are you looking for?

gmcelroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Actually I figured out how to do this. The pressure was 66 PSI with the car running. I turned the car off and let it sit for 1 hour; the pressure dropped to 30 PSI. After 2 hours the pressure was 0 PSI. Under partial throttle; the truck will hesitate at times (full throttle is ok). I was able to make the truck hesitate under light throttle when the fuel pump tester was on the car and the fuel pressure only dropped to 64 PSI. So I guess I have a leaking injector or a bad check valve in the gas tank. FYI, the truck is throwing no trouble codes. Also I just COMPLETELY tuned it up with Motorcraft parts (plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, air filter). Any thoughts? Thank you !!

gmcelroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also, I did the leaking injector test....Attempted to start the truck with the gas pedal to the floor.....The truck would not start at all.....Which leads me back to the fuel pump check valve,,,,

felgar_1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
2.5 and 3.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2" on the 2000
Total Drop
6" on the 99
Tire Size
255/45r18
My credo
drive like you stole it
you thought of the iac. if it is sticking it would cause a hesitation

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Loss of, or limited, power at highway speeds is a fuel pressure issue, or dirty fuel filter
Hesitation is not

Clean MAF sensor, once a year

Check TPS(throttle position sensor), easiest/best way is to get a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and free APP, under $20, with with any vehicle sold in the US or Canada since 1996, so not a Ford thing/tool, ANY vehicle

You can test all sensors with this tool, and read codes, and clear codes

Key on/engine off
TPS should show about 17% with foot off the gas pedal, if you touch the pedal it should instantly show that by going up above 20%, and at Wide OPEN(foot to the floor) it should show just above 90%
The TPS gives the engine computer a "heads up" that throttle just opened so computer needs to instantly add more fuel and change spark timing
Without this "heads up" you would feel a hesitation
TPS is just a "volume control or light dimmer" a variable resistor, so can get dead spots, very unlikely but best to test for it
DO NOT replace the TPS, until you test it, just throwing money away

Check the Cam Sensor connector, on drivers side behind timing belt AUX gear, unplug it and plug it back in
Cleans the contacts

When was timing belt last changed?
They are good for 100k miles, an old belt can cause hesitation

Yes the drop to 0psi after a few hours would mean there is a leak in fuel pump assembly, check valve is inside/part of the fuel pump, not a separate piece
If engine is hard to start cold, then turn the key on and off 3 times, then try to start, should start right up

CharlieB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone have the fuel pressure specs / procedure for a 1999 Ranger 2.5??
Actually I figured out how to do this. The pressure was 66 PSI with the car running. I turned the car off and let it sit for 1 hour; the pressure dropped to 30 PSI. After 2 hours the pressure was 0 PSI. Under partial throttle; the truck will hesitate at times (full throttle is ok). I was able to make the truck hesitate under light throttle when the fuel pump tester was on the car and the fuel pressure only dropped to 64 PSI. So I guess I have a leaking injector or a bad check valve in the gas tank. FYI, the truck is throwing no trouble codes. Also I just COMPLETELY tuned it up with Motorcraft parts (plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, air filter). Any thoughts? Thank you !!
Just had to replace my MAF, exact same symptoms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals