• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 from 3.0 to 4.6(HELP NEED DIRECTION ON BUILD)

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
:icon_thumby:All right everybody buckle up because it is about to get bumpy! I will start with a little history about this ride. I bought this truck two years ago for $600 as a DD. It had two broken springs, the passenger side was the main leaf and the PO used rope to tie it together. The rear bumper was also tied on with rope over the tailgate. The interior had so much hay dust in it that when you sat down it puffed out of the seats. So to keep it short I put in new springs and shackles, welded the rear part of frame and bumper, put in all new balljoints and tie rods, wheel bearings and brakes just to get it inspected. 2 monthes later th engine lost oil pressure and started knocking. Since I bought the truck have talked about a 4.6 swap but never could find one with computer and all together in my price range. So I thought i could find a 3.0 to put back in it till i could, but couldn't find one of them in any of the local boneyards. So there it sat until about two weeks ago me and my co mechanic were talking about it, so we dragged it in put it on the lift to check it out. Found a sheared gear on the cam syncronyser. put a new one in, but it still knocks. The next day my coworker comes in to the shop with a crown vic police car on his rollback to use for a derby car. He tells me he bought two of them. So since he is putting 318's in them I can have the engines if I pull them. So dreams do come true and I am going to need lots of input, because I can't settle on a plan past 4.6 power. I must be honest I am an old school chevy man at heart hense the name but am looking foward to this build. So first question should I go prerunner or undercover cop truck(what Ford would have built if they thought of it) p71 style. :dunno:

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
Here are some pics of what we are starting with.

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think a 4.6 would be way to heavy in a prerunner. From what I know those motors are pig. I think it would be a sweet truck interceptor! And also since you have a 99, It is a bit more work to make a decent prerunner out of that front suspension compared to the TIB.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
wow... its my truck in 2wd and with a 5spd..... I say go for a street truck. My friend has a 2002 police interceptor and its got tons of go. Going to use the auto form the vic or try to get the PCM flashed since itll scream about no transmission to control?

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
I have the whole car so converting to auto, and building a drive shaft. We have a name for it now since I'm thinking a mix of prerunner and intercepter, kinda a dessert cop called the texas ranger. here are pics from today tearing apart the vic.

:icon_confused:

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
Well the engine and trans are out of the vic. now the real work begins. This thing really is a beast. Plan for tomarrowis to get trans apart from engine seperate wiring harness to get just what i need. I have a friend who does custom chome so I think I will send my valve covers and some other parts to him to get done. What color I'm not sure yet. My kids want the truck to be neon green and black, but I don't think that fits the texas ranger theme. I think a deep charcoal grey with a silver or gold trim. what do you guys think I am open to advice because engine needs to match.:yahoo::icon_cheers:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Metallic grey like my truck would be sweet. Click the link in my sig for pics.

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
Project interceptor

Gotta a little done in last few days. 4.6 is on the stand, heads are at machine shop getting ported and polished. Valve cvers and oil pan are at the crome shop. Started getting 3.0 prepped for removal. Will get some pics up soon.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
If you have any spare parts, I have a place to throw them for free!!!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
badass proyect man!!!

that truck will haul a$$ with that interceptor engine

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
BEWARE about ex-police engines, they guzzle gas, but have a HELL of a lot of torque!

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
If you have any spare parts, I have a place to throw them for free!!!
What are you looking for we have a second car and are selling engine and trans.:headbang:

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
BEWARE about ex-police engines, they guzzle gas, but have a HELL of a lot of torque!
Thats the point of this project out with the sippy straw and down with the keg.:icon_thumby:

oldschool1955

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nothing at this
Transmission
Manual
:sorrysign: Been busy doing life and customers cars haven't had much time for ranger. heard from machine shop the heads off my motor were in bad shape and valve seals won't seal after work is done. Good thing for second motor.:icon_thumby: just going to put them on for now til I can afford some trick flow heads and cobra supercharger kit:D. Chromer is taking his sweet time with parts, but should look great. My son and I started taking the box off(I HATE NY RUST, NEED MORE SALT!!!):annoyed:. Tried to un bolt it broke one said the hell with it lets cut it off, ran out of oxegene for torch. be back to it tomarrow. pics soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals