• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 ford ranger 4.0 v6 starts and shuts off .

Jsanchez91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys first i want to thank you for all the help that i can get i have a 1999 ranger 4.0 v6 2wheel drive with manual transmission, today i drove to my dads house 5 minute away, when it was time to go back home i start the truck put it in reverse and i was able to move it back a little than it shut off. I try to start the truck again it shuts off immediately, i try it a few times and it kept doing the same. I know i have a leak on my valve cover gaskets do you guys think that might be the problem? I just bought the truck and the old man that sold it to me told me that he actually had to replace the spark plugs almost every 3 to 4 months because they were getting oil and it after a while the truck had problems to start. Does that sound like something that it could happen? You guys think that might be the problem? Please i need help i need to get my truck fix asap. Thank you for all the help in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

4.0l OHV is a very reliable engine, contrary to what you may think at this moment, lol.
And yes the 4.0l did eat spark plugs but not Motorcraft or Autolite brands, try those, but regular copper or Double platinum, no single platinum.

So to be clear the engine DOES start, runs for a few seconds then dies.
Could just be a loose wiring connector, starting causes it to disconnect.

Or, it did run for a few seconds and then died and now won't start up at all, no firing.

Try adding fuel manually to the intake manifold, remove Power Brake booster vacuum hose, from booster, pour a little gas into it and let it drain down into intake, put hose back on and try to start engine.
If it fires up and then dies then fuel is the problem
If it doesn't fire then spark is the problem

50/50 test, narrows down the problem pretty fast

The 4.0l OHV uses pretty a bullet proof spark system, so my guess would be a fuel issue.

When you turn on the key, you should hear the Fuel pump in the gas tank come on, it only runs for 2 seconds but isn't quiet, louder "hummmmm", then off.
Turn the key on and off a few times, doesn't hurt anything to do that.

If you don't hear it then fuel pump could be bad, not uncommon at 17 years old

Last edited:

stewielax8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the fuel pump doesn't engage, It could be a computer issue. Unplug the inertia switch, and plug it back it. See if that resets it. Doesn't always work but I've had it work before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't hear the pump, take off the fuel cap and listen for the pump there (I have an almost silent pump). Have a helper turn the key back and forth between off and run. Should run for 2 seconds each time.

Do that for 3-4 times. Then try to start. If it starts you have spark and fuel pressure. Maybe not fuel flow thru filter. The pump can pressurize the system even with a plugged filter. If the filter is plugged the pressure will drop almost instantly and the engine will die.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals