• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'99 4x4 XLT 4.0 Manual

tmr416

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
33x10.5R15
Hi everyone!

Had this '99 for a couple of years and this year have finally gotten around to starting to make mods to the truck. Gonna post updates about my build here. I use it for going on camping/backpacking trips with my girlfriend and friends, but want to get into some more wheeling/mud/rocks/dunes!

So far I haven't done much, just replaced some saggy leafs and installed some Belltech shackles in the back. I did a slight T Bar crank in the front. It's got the factory Ford 8.8 inch axle for this year of Ranger which is the open 8.8 with 3.73 gears. I bought it with older BFG KO 31x10.5R15 tires. In 2019 I put a canopy on the back and built a bed/drawer system for my girlfriend and me to sleep in when we go camping. It's a sweet little rig that's treated me really well and brought me all over Washington, Oregon, and down to California and back!

I've gone back and forth in my head when I was prepping to order parts for the leaf spring replacement whether or not I'll go with some other more cheap ways of lifting the truck and just running 31's since I don't do more hardcore wheeling, but after installing the Belltech's and cranking the T bars I'm still not satisfied with the way the truck looks and sits, plus the 31's started to look a little tiny once the back was raised up a bit! Seeing the way the truck is looking so far with only a little bit of lift, it's got me getting a clearer picture of my wishlist:

- Superlift or Rough Country 4 or 5 inch lift kit
- New wheels and tires - depending on SL or RC lift; 15 - 17 inch steelies and then some 33"or 35" A/T's. I'm looking at the General Grabber A/T X's or BFG KO2's. Ultimately, I know I do more highway than true off-road driving and while M/T's look badass I don't think I can justify them.
- Upgrading to 4.10 or 4.56's front and rear
- Upgrade the PV Hubs with some manual locking hubs
- Winch
- Diff lockers (Detroit and Torsen?)

Other ideas and plans in my mind are:
- Custom replacement bumpers in the front and rear
- Overhead storage (racks, bars, containers?)
- More lights - I actually bought the 22" Harbor Freight off-road light during their sale this last week. It was only $70 and a friend of mine has one and says it's bright as hell.
- I want to rebuild the bed/drawer system I have in the back. I built mine last year without a real workspace and threw it together kinda quick. It works and is fine, but I know I can do a better job.

Anyways thanks for checking this thread out and following along! Here are a couple of photos of the truck.
IMG_7761.jpg

This is when I first bought it back in December 2018

58585368840__E7EE6558-01FE-4673-9CFB-D1D55B0E8182.JPG

Bought a canopy in July '19

IMG_8467.jpg

Some north cascades hiking and camping

IMG_9729.jpg

Drawers and bed in the back. Mt. Shasta July '20

IMG_0212.jpg

How the truck sits now since I installed new leafs, belltech 6400's, and did a T Bar crank.

Cheers!

Tanduh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can you show some more of the bed/drawer setup? I’m going to do something similar to my ‘99

Shadowrider6661

D RANGED
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Stock
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
33 x 12.50 x 15
My credo
Drive it, Break it, Fix it, REPEAT !
Welcome to the club.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals