• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 4x4 Brake upgrades?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Disclaimer: I've probably been one to answer questions about this for other people in the past. If It were for a 2wd I-beam truck I probably still could answer from memory. I never looked into the 4wd or SLA stuff that hard because I wasn;t planning ot do it, but it's been so long since I've looked into it I can't recall the details. My google-fu doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment.

My '99 might end up getting the for sale sign removed (not that it's actually been stuck in the window yet) and I've had the wheels turning for a potential build. Very different from what would be expected, but I want to save the details for later. Part of the plans involve swapping from my current AVM hubs to live axles, and possibly regearing. Since the front end would be exploded anyway, I'm thinking why no upgrade brakes.

I know that there used to be a few options floating around for bigger brakes using factory components. I seem to remember something about Sport Trac brakes, and about larger ones on later model trucks. Possibly also something from the Explorers and/or Aviator. I'm not having much success finding write-ups or how-tos andcomponent lists, or even just explinations of what's possible. I know they exist, I recall seeing them in the past, I just can;t seem to find them now.

Anyone able to help me out or point me in the right direction?

For my plans I don't really need larger brakes, but when it comes to brakes I like "bigger is better" (within reason) train of thought. It's more cosmetic as I plan to run a pretty open faced wheel and want the largest rotor practical with the chosen wheel (which hasn't been chosen yet).

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
4wd right?
this works ONLY on torsion bar suspensions.

the PVM hubs will bolt on, but the vacuum channels are not drilled, casting may/may not have vacuum channel
manual hubs are possible.
live axles need the correct outer CV

2004+ Ranger 4wd steering knuckles are a direct bolt on. gets you 12" rotors.
you keep the same calipers, brackets, pads.

requires 16" wheels, or special 15" with large straight inner barrel.

2002-2007???? Aviators had 13" rotors. I don't know if the knuckles are a direct bolt on. those calipers have different mount hole spacing. ????

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2004+ 12" rotors are probably what I was vaugely remembering.

The AVM (or Rugged Ridge?) manual hubs will be going away. I will not be returning to PVH either. I will be going to live axle like the 2001+ trucks had.

I am aware that there are some advantages to a locking axle, like reduced drag, reduced wear and tear, and (potentially) increased MPG. I am also familiar with how weak the manual hubs options for this truck are (BT,DT) and manual or PVH hubs won't really work with what I have in mind for styling and wheel choices.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals