• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'98 transmission issues

dkarten

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
automatic tranny rebuilt 7 years ago but only 4,000 miles as truck is not daily driver. yesterday tranny bucked & OD light started flashing, wouldn't go into 3rd gear, made it home but seemed to be slipping enough that i don't want to drive it, I've read about solenoid valve & replacing band . Is this something I could attempt myself?

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What is the condition of the fluid ? Have you checked the level ? (Idling in park at operating temp).....if you're good there, theres a few quickish simple things you could try that may help, one is changing the vss vehicle speed sensor, it bolts on top of the rear differential housing, some people have luck changing that, ........if the tranny runs good except the one consistent slip in 3rd, theres a good chance you just need to adjust the epc solenoid a little , you do that by dropping the transmission pan and taking the electrical connector off the epc solenoid and it will reveal a tiny star shaped screwdriver fitting....turn that screw almost a half turn clockwise, that's it.....carefully put electric connector back on and put pan back on etc....it can be a messy job a little bit have paper towels and brake cleaner and hand soap handy, and catch bins, decide if you want to reuse your tranny fluid or put in new.....(4qts doing this job).......epc solenoid is 4th one in line on drivers side ....look it up you'll see, also watch videos of ranger tranny filter and fluid changes they'll show you about dropping the pan etc.......try changing the vss first though, and make sure fluid is good, and at proper level first also ,

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That article says turn it 3/4 of a turn clockwise.....I did that and it fixed my problem but created another funny shift in another spot and shifted too firmly....i dropped the pan again and readjusted back a little, to around where I told you to adjust to(almost half a turn) and everything is hunky dory, shifting normal.....theres no guarantee you get the adjustment perfect obviously, so be prepared to MAYBE have to drop the pan a second time and make another adjustment, only silver lining is the second time is easier and if you have the neoprene gasket you can reuse it if its in decent shape which it should be

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also if your adjustment isn't perfect the pcm regulates it to a degree , to work in your favor, as long as youre pretty close with your adjustment

dkarten

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I borrowed a code reader more sophisticated than the one I have (which doesn’t read transmission codes) & I get a P1832 code amongst other shift failure codes, P1832 is the transmission pressure control solenoid, since I’m dropping the pan to change fluid & filter & I’m getting that code should I replace that solenoid?

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think that's the epc solenoid Electronic Pressure Control that I referred to but im not 100% sure .....I really don't know whether to recommend changing it out or just adjusting it like I mentioned (IF we're talking about the same solenoid)......ive never replaced a solenoid so I'm of no help there. The adjustment was easy once the pan was down etc.......replacing the solenoid may be more in depth/harder not sure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals