• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98' Ranger Brake/Clutch Pedal Stuck

KJT123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi All,

I have a 98 Ranger with the 2.5L. Well it sat for a little over a month with only a few starts and no driving. Now when i push down on the brake pedal it does not come back up on its own. I have to put my foot under the pedal and pull it up. Also when i push down on the brake, the clutch pedal goes down a little with it. When pressing the Clutch pedal alone it also sticks i the down position (and pushes the brake down a little) but is is not as bad a the brake.

Has anyone every experienced this and what should i look at first? Right now it is not drivable because of this issue and i have been forced to Drive my Jeep all the time which is not easy on the wallet in terms of gas (11mpg...Ouch).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

KJT

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Both your brake and clutch pedals are on the same pivot basically, and what it sounds like to me is they are sticking on their pivot.
Right at the top of the picture, there is the pivot shaft. I would start by spraying the moving parts on this down with wd40 or the like.

This pic shows the pivot points a little better..

Just move the pedals by hand and watch where they pivot, and spray them down. :icon_thumby:

If that doesn't work, it may need to be dissasembled, and cleaned up, lubed, and put back together.

Do you have a moisture problem?

KJT123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi LoanRanger,

i do in fact have a moisture problem. I am sure this is the cause of the corrosion causeing the pedals to stick and di not occur before because the truck was driven on a weekly basis.

I was unaware the pedals were on the same pivot and your response makes very much sense and the pictures helped alot! Is a moisture problem common in this year. The water is coming in from the back sliding window.

Thanks for your help :icon_thumby:

KJT

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I don't know that the year has anything to do with the leak, more than likely the back glass has been pulled or replaced, and wasn't sealed properly when reinstalling. Your post was very detailed, which made it easier to narrow down the problem. :icon_thumby: If I hadn't just mounted the pedals in the pic, I probably wouldn't have known either, so it was just good timing I guess.

KJT123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good timing indeed. I will be working on it this weekend. Tonight i started to spray the pivot points with PB blaster and will continue to do so a few times a day before i work on it. i think i am going to have to take it apart to really clean it up good and maybe some white lithium grease will help.

I did not really get up in there tonight as it was getting dark and i had to go out. What is the pivot held in by? Is it as simple as nuts and bolts or more detailed than that?

Thanks for everything LoanRanger!

KJT

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
The entire bracket is held to the firewall with four nuts, which attach to the studs on the back of the booster. Then there's two bolts on the top holding the bracket to the dash. If you support the brake booster/master, you can remove the whole assy and clean it up outside the truck. You'll have to remove the linkages too, one has a pin going through it, and the other is held by a small plastic bushing with 4 tabs that need to be carefully spread to pull over the end of the stub on the side of the pedal.
As for what holds the pivot/pedals into the bracket, your guess is as good as mine, I never needed to fully disassemble mine.
Sounds like you're on the right track now though.

Rangermod98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
mine is stuck now can I reopen this discussion?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals