• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger - 97 Explorer Swap?

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 Ranger that had the 3.0 auto, my project is swapping a 5.0 v8 from the 97 explorer. I know that there is a lot of gray area between 97-98 because of the ECM and wiring. I want to know if anyone knows, is that swap possible? Or should I just find a 98-02 explorer to make my life easier?

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That swap is definitely possible. I think it would be easier not having to deal with PATS. I used an early 97 explorer 5.0 in my 03 ranger. Don't know how the wiring differences will go with yours being a 98 but everything worked great in mine even the speedometer and I only changed wires at the 42 pin connector and alternator harness. But I'm no expert. That was my first swap and I may have got lucky that it went so smooth. You need the wiring diagrams for both vehicles for sure and read a lot of posts so you know what problems other people run into.

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
All swaps have pit falls -- not having to muck around with PATS is a huge upside of the '96 & '97 doners.

Only real challenge in the wiring is the a/c compressor control circuit blending between the two. The rest is bone simple.

If you plan on keeping a manual transmission, that will pose far more issues than the wiring.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All swaps have pit falls -- not having to muck around with PATS is a huge upside of the '96 & '97 doners.

Only real challenge in the wiring is the a/c compressor control circuit blending between the two. The rest is bone simple.

If you plan on keeping a manual transmission, that will pose far more issues than the wiring.
Why would a manual transmission pose issues? I don't know if they made manual transmission v8 explorers or not but that's what I'm going to pull the motor out of. If they do that'd be nice to find and just swap the whole driveline. Otherwise I have to find a T5 to put in. The only issues I can think of would be sensors that I can't hook up from the automatic explorers wiring harness

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shifter location, PCM will need a custom tune to eliminate the auto trans and finding a clutch master cylinder and slave solution.

And no, no factory V8 manual Explorers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals