• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 Ranger 4X4 need to lower torsion bar back to factory level.

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
I bought a 98 4X4 and the previous owner has the torsion bar adjustment all the way up so that the shocks are fully extended. I just put stock size tires back on it (had 31.5s on it) and now I want to lower the torsion bar back to factory level. Does anyone know how far down that would be? Can I just lower it all the way down? I am a old man and have a hard time getting into it with the front end jacked up like it is, plus I want a more comfortable ride right now it is like it does not have any shocks on it at all. I've found plenty of threads on raising the torsion bar, but no luck on lowering it.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have the factory specs for ride height and have posted it a few times. I don't have them on my home computer. You can do a search on ride height or wait until I get a chance to post it again when I go back to work.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The quick and dirty way to do it is to set the front 1.5" lower than the rear springs measuring at the same point in the wheel arch for reference. The data gw33gp has put up is more precise. What I mention here gets you close but not 100% correct. Make sure you measure the back arches and compare the fronts on BOTH sides or you will have Ranger lean. The driver's side is purposefully higher than the passenger side because of the fuel tank being on the drivers side.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
for some unknown reason I can't insert an image in this posting, so I just created a thread in "General Discussions" with a diagram and specs.
the angle of the lower control arms is how the factory measures ride height.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The link pj posted is basically the same information I would have posted. I always use the new ride height specs (at the high end of the tolerance), which ends up being about a 1.5" lift on used suspension. That does not cause the shocks to be fully extended and doesn't affect the ride like cranking the torsion bars too much.

The ride height numbers have tolerance of +/- 0.12" for new parts and +/- 0.44" for used. Since you don't want any lift, the 4.04 ride height is probably the best number for you. Going to the low end of the tolerance may end up with the rear looking too high and may have a tendency for the suspension to hit the bump stops.

dgeorge

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/R15
Thank you everyone for all of the help. I have decided to take it to a front end mechanic and let him do it. I'm too old and overweight to be crawling around on the ground doing this. Hopefully your answers will help someone else also.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Thank you everyone for all of the help. I have decided to take it to a front end mechanic and let him do it. I'm too old and overweight to be crawling around on the ground doing this. Hopefully your answers will help someone else also.

so am I. slows me down a little, gives the neighbors something to talk about. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals